What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter

wirejock

Well Known Member
I installed cables to the starter today. First I removed the jumper per Vans. Big cable to the big bolt. Solenoid wire to the smaller one. I checked with an ohm meter and I read continuity between the smaller bolt and ground. Seems odd to have continuity there but I've never checked one.
Am I just reading the solenoid brushes?

I installed cables to the starter today. First I removed the jumper per Vans. Big cable to the big bolt. Solenoid wire to the smaller one. I checked with an ohm meter and I read continuity between the smaller bolt and ground. Seems odd to have continuity there but I've never checked one.

Is the snubber diode installed?

....... I checked with an ohm meter and I read continuity between the smaller bolt and ground. Seems odd to have continuity there but I've never checked one.

No, you're reading the resistance of the coil of the starter-mounted solenoid. That's what pulls the pinion gear into the ring gear and also closes the big contacts of the solenoid to allow power to flow into the starter motor.

I think I understand.
Solenoid is a big electromagnetic right?

Yes. It is an electromagnet which does two things: it closes a pair of big contacts which complete the circuit to the starter motor and it pulls the pinion gear into the ring gear.

Thats why you don’t need 2 solenoids any more ! Ancient wiring was for lycomint
and early Ford type starters. Most aftermarket starters have solenoid such as yours . Tom

correct. You are reading the resistance of the solenoid winding for generating the magnetic field. It needs to be pretty powerfull and therefore needs a lot of current (5+ amps typical when also pulling the drive gear) and that means low resistance on the winding.

Back