What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Throttle Cable doesn't get full travel on governor?

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
After setting up my prop and governor, I'm not getting full travel on the governor with the stock cable. The result is that the prop won't cycle on the ground below 1900 RPMs, and even then I only get a 150 RPM drop.

I've still got about 30% of the travel available on the low side of the governor arm. Jirostroj gov.

Anyone ever use a longer prop lever arm?

No verniers, I know some do this but I don't like them.

Hey Moe,

I have an MT Governor so it might not work on yours. However the back of the governor can be loosened and rotated to get the best throw of the arm. I used the prop cable from vans and had to make a few adjustments to the governor. I’m not using vernier controllers either.

Hope this helps.

PS - I’ve got a machine shop making me a rudder trim like yours. Can’t wait to try it out.

After setting up my prop and governor, I'm not getting full travel on the governor with the stock cable. The result is that the prop won't cycle on the ground below 1900 RPMs, and even then I only get a 150 RPM drop.

I've still got about 30% of the travel available on the low side of the governor arm. Jirostroj gov.

Anyone ever use a longer prop lever arm?

No verniers, I know some do this but I don't like them.

You are limited by the related kinematics or the cable assembly? Check if you have enough cable throw available; sounds like you're using a quadrant so disconnect from there and try and actuate by hand. I'm gonna guess you're being limited by the throw of the prop lever. Consider attaching the control cable lower on the lever. If I'm misunderstanding/mis-imagining your issue, let me know.

The stock prop control setup works with the PCU5000 governor but there is little room for error.

Disconnect the cable from the governor and verify the lever moves over the full range of the control in the cockpit.
Set the cockpit lever to the midpoint of travel.
The cable end at the governor should be in a position where the lever is at the midpoint between the stops.
If not adjust the cable body/rod end position.
If you run out of adjustment range at the cable end it will be necessary to adjust the governor arm clocking.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=214797&highlight=Governor

Last edited:
Back