What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Governor install, Jihostroj control lever orientation

Freemasm

Well Known Member
No one around for an official answer. Hoping VAF can help. Installing the subject prop gov. I believe PCU rebrands these so hopefully that will widen the knowledge base.

Can the cap (and thus control arm, stops, etc.) be reoriented to simplify the control cable kinematics? This would only make sense from an install/design standpoint. Web search limited to a phone screen isn’t effective. I can’t take anymore time delaying mistakes. Let me know. Much thanks.

If I remember correctly, yes - you can loosen the screws and rotate the inner portion (that the lever mounts to) to a better orientation. Tighten the screws up and re-safety.

I haven’t done it for a number of years, but that is what I remember….

It's a P920-032A. Don't know the PCU# but probably 5000.

Much thx to all. Shipped with no paperwork and I forgot to download before I headed out today.

Follow up

I respect Czech engineering but can't follow the organizational logic sometimes. Found the pertinent paragraph but not where you'd (or at least me) would expect.

The "Install and Operation" section is as follows:

Installation
Static Run-up
Flight test
General
Calibration (inside of here. Pic attached).

Not sure how you're supposed to do the previous tasks before getting the control kinematics done; but, it's in there. Still my fault for forgetting to print out the related doc before I went to the airport. Again, thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Gov instruct.jpg
    Gov instruct.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 96
I just went through this on my 8.

-Rotate governor to suite your installation by loosening the 6 outer screws. I replaced them with drilled socket heads, the capstans they use are junk. The second time I needed to rotate it, the heads snapped off.

-Static ground runup should get you around 2600 RPM max to start. Adjust this using your propeller fine pitch or low angle stop.

-Fly the thing. Initial takeoff keep the prop lever back a bit so you can't overspeed it. Take your time getting off the ground, then once cleaned up and climbing, max throttle and ease up prop to see where you end up. If it will go past 2700, set the lever to hold 2700 then land without touching it again. On the ground adjust stops on gov to meet where the lever is.

-Once you get 2700 in the climb, be sure to dive it full power and full throttle to make sure it won't overspeed.

-With governor adjusted, experiment with low angle stop so that you get acceptable bite from a standstill. The courser you can go, the better you will be as the prop will be less likely to overspeed in a gov failure. As you go more course, you will lose "bite" on takeoff, so your static RPMs will drop along with your initial acceleration. It's a compromise.

Back