What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT Overhaul time

F1R

Well Known Member
Looking for a recommendation for a trustworthy shop and any recent going rates for an overhaul on 3 blade MT propellors.

Tiffen Aire - Tiffen, OH

They did my last OH, which was quite extensive, and did an excellent job.

There are a lot of "regional" shops around that are MT certified service centers, that could easily handle an OH that did not require in depth maintenance. That's where my OH started, w/Stockton Propeller - Stockton, CA. But on teardown it was determined that new custom made "ferrules" were needed to complete the OH. It was decided at that time to send the whole thing to Tiffen Aire because they have the resources & experience to get the job done.

Nothing but good things to say about how they handled my job - even though 2 sets of custom ferrules had to be made (@ $1500 ea. ferrule) before the OH was complete.

Another story for another time!

I would recommend them at least as good as the factory support shop in Deland, FL.

HFS

HR II S/N 002

Thanks for the report. I'm a year or two from ordering a prop and thinking about maintainability and service. I'm close to Tiffin Aire which puts a check in the pro column for MT. Considering the 3 blade WW also.

There are a lot of "regional" shops around that are MT certified service centers, that could easily handle an OH that did not require in depth maintenance. That's where my OH started, w/Stockton Propeller - Stockton, CA. But on teardown it was determined that new custom made "ferrules" were needed to complete the OH. It was decided at that time to send the whole thing to Tiffen Aire because they have the resources & experience to get the job done.

Nothing but good things to say about how they handled my job - even though 2 sets of custom ferrules had to be made (@ $1500 ea. ferrule) before the OH was complete.

Another story for another time!

I would recommend them at least as good as the factory support shop in Deland, FL.

HFS

HR II S/N 002

Please forgive my ignorance, English is not my mother tongue. When I think of a ferrule, I see some sort of ring. What are the ferrules that you're talking about in the MT? THe bearing race?

I've taken apart the MTV-9 on my Jodel when a snap ring, err, snapped. Out came a slew of bearing balls and small donuts to keep these balls apart. Furthermore there were nylon blocks to guide the pins that actually rotate the blades. Then some springs and a ton of grease.

I've since bought another MTV-9 for my RV3 project. The thing seems to be completely free of any play or grease leaks. Would love to hear about those ferrules...

Thanks!

(Here's some photos of the disassembly of mine. After this, one takes off the snap ring on the outside cuff of the blade and push the blade in, while cathing all those bearings and donuts. Didn't take photos of that. Had too much grease on my hands by then ;))

MT-1.jpeg

MT-2.jpeg

MT-3.jpeg

MT-4.jpeg

MT-5.jpeg

MT-6.jpeg

MT-7.jpeg

Back