What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compare: ACM (AFC Control module) to Vertical Power VP-X

Pounder

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hello Experienced Panel Builders and Operators,

Has anyone worked with AFC's ACM and/or Vertical Power's power systems, VP-X and PPS?

I'm interested in knowing personal experiences, both building and functionallity.

Thanks

ACM

I'm almost finished installing my ACM panel-less panel electronics. Originally, I planned a VPx but the two were close enough in cost to justify the decision. There are advantages to both. VPx Pro has more breakers and a second buss. ACM is a set design but all power, ground, audio and data is managed. That could be a plus or a minus. They also have a port for a GPS Nav/Com so ask before purchasing. The panel components are all assembled and tested before shipping. You can also get a full panel. Most cables are premade and fit.
Only a few cables are builder fabricated or have D-subs to install. Lights, Sticks, Servos, etc.
ACM is a little smaller than the VPx.
Mine is mounted on a hinged panel. Hope that helps.
Feel free to ask questions.

20230313_163554.jpg

Last edited:
I've wired up both systems (not in the same airplane). They both do pretty much the same thing, but the VP-X is more configurable (via a program on your computer). The ACM is pretty slick with the prefabbed harnesses. Definitely a time saver. The ACM has five connectors that you need to wire up to your trim/flaps/lights/pumps/etc.
The ACM also has blocks of switches which are prewired, whereas the VP-X you are on your own for buying and sourcing your switches for the panel.

Switches

Tge ACM can be used with the prefab switch modules and harness or you can wire your own. I chose the latter for a couple reasons.
No separate taxi light switch
I wanted plain Jane Honeywell SPST switches.
If a switch fails away from home, I can buy a cheapo from Home Depot to get me home.
Switches are just completing a circuit to ground so there's no load. Their modules are really nice with back light.

Back