What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More Opinions, Please!

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am trying to provide slack in connections between the engine (moving about) and the engine mount (not moving about). Usually this is easy enough. But, the starter cable is 2AWG and plenty stout. Is the connection I am showing below going to cause trouble down the line as the Adel clamp on the engine vibrates with the engine and the clamp on the engine mount does not, as much?

If so, do I just try to provide more of a loop in the 2AWG between the Adels?

Starter Cable Secured.jpg

There is less relative motion in that area, but assume it will move about an inch - do you have enough slack? Since that cable is so stiff, you could have more space between the two adel clamps.

BTW, vibration is not the big problem - it's the "wet dog" shake that often happens when starting or stopping the engine.

SPIRAL WRAP TUBING

You will inspect your engine at 50 h, if not before.
The goal is to make it safe, at least to next inspection.
I would suggest SPIRAL WRAP TUBING.
If there is a problem you will know, but nothing will be damaged.
You could replace the adel clamp on the engine mount with two tie wraps to maintain the distance.
The cable could then move more freely.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/spiralwrap.php

Good luck

Last edited:
I think if you could pull a little more slack into the gap between the clamps you should be fine. My starter cable had enough length to adjust a bit.

Also, you may want to consider moving the red cube to a cooler location like up by the flow divider. Just a thought.

Hard to see if there are other places where wiring and plumbing could be better supported without a wider angle picture. I would be worried about the wires coming out of the red cube. The mass of the unsupported cable length will stress the exit point from the red cube and over time fail at that exit point. Better to provide a fairly short 180 degree radius and tie back to the oil line with either waxed string or a tiewrap and then go to the firewall passthrough. Mounting the red cube on the firewall to reduce vibration is another option. Wiring and plumbing the firewall forward area is tough. Not much room, a lot of stuff to pack in and lots of fretting and vibration protection needed. I had a couple of really experienced people look over what I had done before I finalized it. Got some really good suggestions with a second set of eyes. General comment was “if it looks right it typically is”.

Keith Turner

Consider using welding cable. I have used it on many airplanes for about thirty years. It is very flexible, made for hot industrial conditions and not expensive.

Back