What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Fwd Fuel/Oil hoses

Tam

Good day everybody
My RV8 is now 10 years on the line and I love every minute of it 😍
The Firewall Fwd Fuel and Oil hoses are all from Van’s and were installed 10 years ago (although bought 19 years ago).
Do you advise replacement?
if it is the case, is it better to replace with Van’s products or…?
is there a difference in material used (rubber/teflon)?
many thanks in advance
Tam

After 19 years, yes I would replace them. If for piece of mind if nothing else. Also if they were rubber it’s time. Change to Teflon lined, there good for virtually ever.

Hope this helps
RD

TS Flightlines

Tam,
I had Tom Swearengen, from TS Flightline, make all my firewall forward hoses. Tom was superb to work with, and all the hoses are excellent quality. You’ll be very pleased if you contact Tom.

Mike

I'm thinking about changing all my hoses for the same reason. The idea of having them all professionally made with Teflon for long life is appealing...what kind of ballpark cost are we talking about?

Eric, teflon is the way to go, and not because thats the hose that we build. Teflon has no service life---although we DO recommend inspection at conditionals and a look over when the cowling is off. The original rubber lined braided hoses from Vans were good at the time, but we know that chemicals in the fuel can deteriorate the liner. Similar with the heat cycles and age of oil hoses. Teflon has a much higher working temp rating, making it the perfect choice.
Be advised that there are 2 versions of firesleeved braided teflon assemblies. 1 is the silicone/fiberglass slip on firesleeve that is most common and easy to install. The other is an integral silicone covered hose, where the cover is formed during the hose manufacturing process. Both have the same temp ratings, the same working pressures, and the same high quality. Ours just happens to be red/orange in color to match the standard firesleeve color. Same hose that Vans now supplys in their FWF kits---we build the assemblies for them.
Pics below show the hoses---and the comparision to the old Aeroquip 701 Vans assemblies.

Tom

Attachments

• ASF IF HOSE 3.jpg
    ASF IF HOSE 3.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 76
  • ASF IF HOSE ASSEMBLIES FWF.jpg
    ASF IF HOSE ASSEMBLIES FWF.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Paul Dye hoses-old and new.jpg
    Paul Dye hoses-old and new.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 77
Many thanks to all of you for your quick replies.🙏🏻