What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming or ?

dweyant

Well Known Member
I'm looking at ordering my finish kit in the next month or so.

If Vans does an April 1 price increase I want to get it ordered before then.

It looks like I need to decide on, if not order an engine by the time I order my finish kit.

I'm having a tough time deciding on which variant of engine to go with.

Vans/Lycomming?
ECI?
Aerosport?
Someone else?

It seems like it could be simpler to just order the engine from Vans, plus probably a little bit cheaper?

Thoughts? Pros/cons?

Thanks,

-Dan

It is hard to compete on price with a standard Vans sourced Lycoming engine. If you want electronic ignition, higher compression ratios, a little more horsepower, balanced injectors, then the Vans/Lycoming route gets more pricy as you end up with extra parts.

I had enough off plan stuff to handle already so chose the basic engine configuration and Vans (at the time) was a very good deal. One engine builder said they could not buy the parts for that price. I appreciated his honesty. I am not suggesting you follow this route, just define what you want this engine to be then select your engine/builder. Or - if you have a builder you trust completely, then discuss the options with them.

Happy Decision making, there are many.

Last edited:
Barrett Precision Engines

And don't forget to give Rhonda and Allen a call at Barrett. They are a family business that specializes in customer care as well as great engines - custom or stock. When you compare the value added items, the price is much the same, and you get a real person with real knowledge to call when you have any questions!

(Not sponsored by them, just a happy customer!)

I purchased at SnF 2010. I started pricing at SnF the prior year and the spread really did not change that much.

While I desired some of the whiz-bang from the engine rebuilders, I found at that time that the rebuilders engines were generally flat tappet motors vs roller tappet from Lycoming (Vans). This may have changed since then. As Van was a healthy 10% cheaper than the nearest competitor, I decided to go with Van and deal with electronic ignition later after the slicks were ready to be replaced. If electronic ignition is a requirement, buy from Van and post the new slicks here because new ones at a bargain price will get snapped up in a hurry.

In regards to balancing injectors, Don at Airflow is so helpful and the nozzles are cheap. Once that is done, running LOP on mags is a non-issue.

And don't forget to give Rhonda and Allen a call at Barrett. They are a family business that specializes in customer care as well as great engines - custom or stock. When you compare the value added items, the price is much the same, and you get a real person with real knowledge to call when you have any questions!

(Not sponsored by them, just a happy customer!)

How many hours on your Barrett? Hows the performance doing?

Just received a superior IO320 from AeroSportPower. It was a special price maybe $2k savings. Nothing fancy, just what I wanted.

Barrett Performance

How many hours on your Barrett? Hows the performance doing?

Mike,

You know I have not flown my airplane yet, but you know that Barrett has a long, long history with air show performers and has an excellent reputation.

To the OP and others looking for engine choices,

Just wanted you to have someone to talk with regarding your engine selection who will be very helpful and courteous regardless of where you ultimately buy your engine!

Back