What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pipe clearance

skydiverlv

Well Known Member
What is acceptable clearance for exhaust pipe to cowl and also exhaust pipe to area exit point below firewall? I have searched and get lots of advice on protecting these areas but no clearance minimums

What is acceptable clearance for exhaust pipe to cowl and also exhaust pipe to area exit point below firewall? I have searched and get lots of advice on protecting these areas but no clearance minimums

My personal minimum is about 3/4". Anything less than 1/2" will definitely hit. The engine moves around quite a bit, especially during start-up, shut-down, and high "G" maneuvers.

what about thermal clearance minimum, at rpm-min airflow, run up? when does that cowl turn funny colors?

I have less then 1/2" on mine due to engine sag and I can see a touch mark on the passenger side.

This may help -

I found this article to be very helpful:

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/31_5/builder_spotlight/heat_shields_up_20988-1.html

Information from Vetterman in this article -

"So, what kind of clearances does Vetterman recommend? "For unprotected fiberglass, I would recommend not less than 1? inches of clearance. For fiberglass with either foil or silver paint, you can reduce that to ? inch." The addition of an insulator like Fiberfrax will provide additional protection."

Back