What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

static on one freq.

egp8111

Well Known Member
Patron
Why do I get a lot of background static only on one frequency(twr. freq wouldn't you know it) Other freqs. are clear
I'm pretty lost on all things electronic, lost thing I really understood was a Walkman

Thanks
Skip

Static on one freq.

This kind of thing often originates from some piece of equipment that incorporates a poorly designed switching regulator in its power supply. A poor design or one with inadequate filtering can radiate at a whole range of frequencies and interfere with your radios. Many items, including EFIS units and radios now have switching regulators in their power supplies. A give-away is if the unit is rated to run from 14 to 28V without any mods or settings.

With the radio on, try selectively turning off other items and see if the static disappears with one of them. I had an early GRT MiniX that splattered RF noise at 1mHz intervals throughout the aviation comm band, but they have fixed the problem a few years ago. Another item can be a device charger, such as the kind you plug into a cigarette lighter. These often are RF noisy. It can also be caused by many kinds of LED lighting.

I have an LED hand work light that generates so much RF noise that I can't use it in the plane!

N49ex,

You nailed it. Its coming from the cigarette charger running the stratux and iPad.
Now I have to find a way to power them without using the plug in

thanks
Skip

Why do I get a lot of background static only on one frequency(twr. freq wouldn't you know it) Other freqs. are clear
I'm pretty lost on all things electronic, lost thing I really understood was a Walkman

Thanks
Skip

The walkman came out after most of our aviation electronics were designed.

N49ex,

You nailed it. Its coming from the cigarette charger running the stratux and iPad.
Now I have to find a way to power them without using the plug in

thanks
Skip

I think Stein sells a modified unit so to illuminate to noise?

Noise free USB chargers

Garmin makes their GSB panel mount charger. Unfortunately it runs around $275. Stein likely sells it. Sporty's also has a couple that are meant for the cigarette lighter. I assume if Sporty's is selling them, they have been vetted for RF noise. Aircraft Spruce also has a bunch - you might have to check their reviews or do some research to see how quiet they are.

Couple of years (4-5 maybe more you how time gets away) ago at Oshkosh at the ATS tool sales booth they had some of what I would call small profile cigarette lighter double USB charges. Bought 2 of them for about $17-$18 each they have been totally RF interface free. Might be worth checking to see if they still have them. Also they kept pace with power required for a first generation iPad running GarmiPilot for hours on end. Very pleased with them, wish I'd kept the package it came in. Both are still working.

Thanks for the advise, I'll do some research. While were on the subject, why does my CHT gauge jump when I transmit on the radio? Is it a comment ground somewhere ?
thanks again

CHT jump

Do you have just a single CHT? Or if all 4 or 6, do they all jump? Basically, CHT and EGT are very low level signals which can be interfered with by the transmitted RF. Typically a dis-similar metal interface in the wiring will rectify picked up signals and generate erroneous readings. Proper shielding is usually the first thing to look at on the signals in question.

Back