What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GDL 39 and Dynon

boomer

Well Known Member
Has anyone been able to get the "pass through" feature of the GDL 39 to work with a Dynon HS-34 or D100/180? I have been unable to get mine to pass through Garmin 696 data to my HS-34 and called Dynon tech support about it yesterday. The support person said that the pass through only worked with Garmin products on both ends, which was news to me. Anyone know? Thanks.

-John

As far as I'm aware, Garmin products (GDL39) will ONLY display on Garmin products (430,696,796, Garmin Pilot, etc). If someone has found a workaround, please let me know.

As far as I'm aware, Garmin products (GDL39) will ONLY display on Garmin products (430,696,796, Garmin Pilot, etc). If someone has found a workaround, please let me know.

I think there is some confusion here. Pretty sure he is asking about the pass thru function not the data display from the GDL39's receivers.

Has anyone been able to get the "pass through" feature of the GDL 39 to work with a Dynon HS-34 or D100/180? I have been unable to get mine to pass through Garmin 696 data to my HS-34 and called Dynon tech support about it yesterday. The support person said that the pass through only worked with Garmin products on both ends, which was news to me. Anyone know? Thanks.

-John

The passthru function was created to allow people that use a 696 which only has one serial port to use both the GDL39 and other NMEA devices like autopilots/EFIS units.

I think you have been provided incorrect information. You may have a wiring and or configuration issue. Check that the baud rates match or it will never work. I suggest manually setting them on the Dynon side instead of using the auto detect.

I will tell you that back when I had Dynon gear, I always had to have the NMEA mode of any Garmin device set to NORMAL and not FAST for it to work with the Dynon gear.

Last edited:

-John

Hello John,

As you know, the GPSMAP 696 has a single serial port, and the GDL 39 serial port pass-through feature allows you to connect a GDL 39 to that single serial port, and provide a second serial port on the GDL 39 to perform the transmit and/or receive functions previously performed on the 696 before the GDL 39 was connected.

I can't speak to the serial port needs (data, baud rate, etc) of these devices, but if these devices were functioning correctly listening to the NMEA or other data output from the 696 before the GDL 39 was connected, they should still be working just as well.

Just a reminder that the manual provides guidance to ground the white/orange receive wire on the GDL 39 bare wire cable if it is not connected to anything.

Please contact us if we can help further.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
John, the output from the 696 does need to be set to NORMAL and not FAST. The difference is that the FAST setting data stream does not include information needed for an HSI. NORMAL contains all the data.

Steve, can you confirm that the 696 can be set to NORMAL when connected to a GDL39?

Robert
Dynon Avionics

John, the output from the 696 does need to be set to NORMAL and not FAST. The difference is that the FAST setting data stream does not include information needed for an HSI. NORMAL contains all the data.

Steve, can you confirm that the 696 can be set to NORMAL when connected to a GDL39?

Robert
Dynon Avionics

According to the manual it can.

NMEA Out Format

Yes, the 696 supports three serial formats which include NMEA data and each has selections for Normal and Fast.

The straight NMEA Out format is at 4800 baud while the other two containing NMEA and VHF Out data are at 9600 baud (as explained on the 696 screen), so the external device baud rate will need to match.

Steve

GDL 39 and Dynon 10A problem

I added the Garmin GDL 39 I wired it with the bare wire harness so I can use the pass thru. I have it wired to my Garmin 510 GPS and my Dynon 10A. I also grounded the orange wire like was mentioned earlier. The pass thru signal still drops out for no reason at differant times really annoying while in HSI mode on my Dynon. Wish I could get this fixed.

Also I would like to add an auto pilot but I guess there is no way to wire my GPS to the auto pilot with this setup :-(

I added the Garmin GDL 39 I wired it with the bare wire harness so I can use the pass thru. I have it wired to my Garmin 510 GPS and my Dynon 10A. I also grounded the orange wire like was mentioned earlier. The pass thru signal still drops out for no reason at differant times really annoying while in HSI mode on my Dynon. Wish I could get this fixed.

Also I would like to add an auto pilot but I guess there is no way to wire my GPS to the auto pilot with this setup :-(

Hello Bobby,

The GDL 39 pass through port transmits on the orange wire. The white wire with orange stripe is the receive line which is grounded if not used. I suspect this is what you meant.

Do the 3 devices share a common power ground? Is the most recent Aera 510 and GDL 39 software loaded?

Does the 10A work properly when connected straight to the Aera 510 blue (Tx) and black (ground) wires without the GDL 39?

We are not aware of anyone else having trouble with pass through data dropping out (except when the GPS reception is poor). The problem might possibly be with the receiving device.

Customers have generally been successful driving two serial devices on the pass through port, so adding an autopilot should be something you can do.

Please contact us directly by phone or email if you need additional assistance. We are happy to help.

Thanks,
Steve

More details

Hello Bobby,

The GDL 39 pass through port transmits on the orange wire. The white wire with orange stripe is the receive line which is grounded if not used. I suspect this is what you meant.
Yep that is what I meant.

Do the 3 devices share a common power ground? Is the most recent Aera 510 and GDL 39 software loaded?
All 3 wires are separate but do go to a common GND.

Does the 10A work properly when connected straight to the Aera 510 blue (Tx) and black (ground) wires without the GDL 39?
Yes the 10A and 510 work perfectly without the GDL 39

We are not aware of anyone else having trouble with pass through data dropping out (except when the GPS reception is poor). The problem might possibly be with the receiving device.
I might need to send it to you to have it checked out. If anyone else is have this problem please let us know.

Customers have generally been successful driving two serial devices on the pass through port, so adding an autopilot should be something you can do.
OK that would be great!

Please contact us directly by phone or email if you need additional assistance. We are happy to help.

Thanks,
Steve

I've included the answers to the questions within the quote.
Everything has the latest updated software. When the pass thru drops out it is totally random, it will be working fine and then it is not. I even wiggled the wires to see if it was a bad connection and that has no effect. At times will start working again. I never have had a GPS signal lost.

Last edited:
Hello Bobby,

Thank you for the information.

It is probably best to contact us via email or phone (see below) to enable us to efficiently work with you to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Steve

Problem solved!

This is a copy of my email that went directly to Steve at Garmin.
I tought I posted this already, but I didn't, so here it is:
I got under the panel and started looking at the wiring. Everything was looking good. I decided to disconnect my DB9 connector and look at my pin out. The DB9 connector is there to update the Dynon 10A but to get the signal to the 10A you use the male side of the connector to run the orange wire from the GDL39 which goes to pin 22 on the 10A. I actually have a pigtail on the male connector that the orange wire connects to. These two connectors (male and female DB9) are held together with zip ties to keep them from coming apart. I haven't had them apart in quite a while. When I added the GDL39 I just connected the pig tail and orange wire together and never had to disconnect the DB9s. When I first put it in I was having the drop outs, then I read one of your post about grounding the wht/org wire. After doing that I thought everything was good. After a little while I had a drop out occasionally. Then on the trip that I took right before we started emailing back and forth, I was getting a lot of dropped signals. Now here is what I found. After taking the male and female DB9 connectors apart and putting them back together, I have not lost the signal even once, it is worked perfectly. I believe the pins in the connector just needed to be reseated.

I want to think you for spending time on VAF and helping your customers the way you do, It really helps to be able to just talk these things out like we have. After checking it out this weekend, I will go back to the tread on VAF and explain how the problem was my problem and not the GDL39.

This email was sent on Nov. 7th, 2013 and it has been working flawlessly since.

Just to make sure I understand, you are getting GDL 39 data to your Garmin GPS and sending data back and forth between that GPS and your Dynon at the same time?

Thanks.

-John

After taking the male and female DB9 connectors apart and putting them back together, I have not lost the signal even once, it is worked perfectly. I believe the pins in the connector just needed to be reseated.

I want to think you for spending time on VAF and helping your customers the way you do, It really helps to be able to just talk these things out like we have. After checking it out this weekend, I will go back to the tread on VAF and explain how the problem was my problem and not the GDL39.

This email was sent on Nov. 7th, 2013 and it has been working flawlessly since.

Almost

I am sending data from the Garmin GDL 39 to my Garmin 510 GPS and sending data from that GPS thru the GDL 39 to my Dynon 10A. It is all working fine.

Last edited:
Back