What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NGK BR8ES Plugs

jgoehl

What is the disadvantage of using the plug version with the screw on tip as apposed to the permanent attached tip ?

Why one over the other ?

Solid caps

You want the solid cap ones for use on your plane. The screw on tips can screw off. Not sure why you would want those. Maybe someone else would know why you would use them o something else.

I've had the screw-on tips on a couple air compressors - I would not use them on anything more critical than a lawn mower. They do have a tendency to back off.

In addition to the potential for backing off (which you can fix if you booger up the threads a bit), they appear to be able to generate electrical noise. We had some XM interference that we traced to the ignition, when the engine was running. We did a lot of troubleshooting before replacing the plugs with fixed connection models, and that seemed to fix things.

Last time I bought plugs, I got them from Rockauto.com - they had the best price.

Would some locktite on the threads make them "non-screwing" and not affect any other properties?

Bevan.

I've been a fan of the BR8ES since we dyno tested a bunch of plugs years ago and found them to be equal to anything we could find. I've raced more miles on that plug than I care to admit and as long as I did my job in relation to wrenching/tuning, they have never let me down. With that said, my one bad memory of it was when I accidentally grabbed a box of the thread on tip type...and one backed off during a race. Naturally, I was well and truly in the lead and it cost me the race...in a championship qualifier. Lesson learned.

Bevan, listen to the many voices of experience in here. Just throw the box of screw on tip plugs away. It's not worth the risk...this isn't a place to compromise over a two dollar plug.

I found several of them loose at my first condition inspection. They slowly had backed out enough where it took several turns to retighten. I replaced them all with solid tip versions. The part number for the solid tip NGK BR8ES is #3961.

Loctite. Try it! Keeps threaded connections from loosening.

Last edited:
My local O'Reilly (formerly Checker) keeps the screw tip ones in stock, but can usually have the solid top ones in my hands by 0800 the next day if I ask.

As for why the screw tip plugs exist, I've seen a few yard tools where the spark plug lead attaches directly to the threaded portion.

Guy

Loctite. Try it! Keeps threaded connections from loosening.
For less than $20 for a set of eight, it is not worth taking the risk of an ignition issue.

FWIW, I did fly for close to a year with a set of BR8ES's with the screw off tips w/o realizing it. For that entire year ATC kept asking me to check my radio and it drove me crazy trying to figure out why my transmissions were garbled.

But will locktite insulate the connection? Not sure, but you do want a solid electrical path between the lead, cap and threads.
Doesn't seem to be a problem with mine. Good radio comm and no ignition noise (dual emag with auto plugs). My assumption is that the cap makes good contact between the base of the cap and the shoulder of the plug threaded seat, leaving the sealant on the back side of the threads.

Will probably look for non threaded (non removable) next replacement cycle.

Is locktite up to the job temperature wise? With all the surface area on the threads and shoulder area, I doubt there would be any measureable resistance to electron flow at the voltages generated.

Bevan

High altitude intermittent miss

Chased this for a long time. Finally found the silicon grease in a spark plug boot had turned black...and the cap was loose. This even after damaging the threads slightly with pliers to make them "self locking"
Solid tops for this guy. There not hard to come by, order a 5 year supply for what,$40?
Tim

2013 VAF dues paid

Nice tip

Good tip Paul, just ordered a couple of sets to go with my new mag.

Thanks

In addition to the potential for backing off (which you can fix if you booger up the threads a bit), they appear to be able to generate electrical noise. We had some XM interference that we traced to the ignition, when the engine was running. We did a lot of troubleshooting before replacing the plugs with fixed connection models, and that seemed to fix things.

Last time I bought plugs, I got them from Rockauto.com - they had the best price.

Back