What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Pressure too high

Geo

Hello.
2009 RV7A, 250hrs on Mattituck IO360, 250hrs TTSN.
Recently my oil pressure has been running too high, as indicated by my EIS4000 engine monitor.
The norm was 85-90 psi on takeoff, then as oil warmed up it would settle in the upper 70's at cruise.
Now it reads 97-98 on takeoff, even if i let the oil get warm before i take off. and even if i pull back at low MP, it stays 94-95.
I run Aeroshell 15W50 (but, again, this high pressure seems unrelated to oil temp), current oil/filter set has 15 hrs on it.
Before I go through with oil, filter change and transducer replacement, I want to show a picture of the oil pressure relief valve I took last night.
(Please note that I have never touched it so far).
If I put a wrench to the locknut I can easily turn it clockwise (without taking the locking pin out), so easily that I can almost do it by hand. It does not turn counterclockwise (it seems bottomed-out).
Is this normal? Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks.
OilP_zpsfyv8hrbe.jpg.html

I am with Dan on this - that is a very common failure description for VDO oil pressure transducers - I've seen it multiple times.

Paul

Does oil pressure indicator show zero when engine is not running? Some sensor failures create a zero offset error, too.

I think there is supposed to be safety wire though that roll pin...

I had this problem and it was caused by a poor connection. Check the connection at the sender and also at the instrument, also earths. Mine was a poor connection at the instrument, but it is easier to go to the sender first and hope you don't have to scrabble at the back of the panel.

I just joined the club of VDO oil pressure sender failures (GRT EIS4000). Cruise OP was sliding between 86 and 97psi with no correllation with any other engine parameter. Replaced the sender, now rock solid between 79 and 81 psi again in cruise. 226 hours O-320

Does oil pressure indicator show zero when engine is not running?

this is definitely worth checking. My sensor from GRT did not indicate zero when engine was off. I asked GRT about it and their hi-tech suggestion was to tap on the sensor with your finger a few times. Voila! All fixed.

problem solved

It was a bad electrical connection between the sender body and the (grounded) manifold.
After cleaning it up, pressure is now normal again.
Thank you all for the advice.
I'm still puzzled by that pressure relief valve, though.....
;-)

I want to show a picture of the oil pressure relief valve I took last night.
(Please note that I have never touched it so far).
If I put a wrench to the locknut I can easily turn it clockwise (without taking the locking pin out), so easily that I can almost do it by hand. It does not turn counterclockwise (it seems bottomed-out).
Is this normal? Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks.
OilP_zpsfyv8hrbe.jpg.html
[/QUOTE]

If I understand your statement above , the castle nut on the threaded shaft of the pressure relief valve screws away from the roll / lock pin , then when reversed screws back and stops when it is against the roll pin ? If this the case then the adjustment castle nut is Not installed properly . The Castle nut should be locked to the threaded shaft when the roll pin is installed , this is so when you turn the "Nut" the threaded "Shaft " turns and screws in and out to adjust the spring and Ball pressure inside the unit . Raising or lowering the oil pressure . Other type units that do not have this nut and shaft use washers to shim the spring tension up and down . PS I run safety wire thru the hole in the roll pin and tie it off so the shaft can't turn and change the pressure , just in case ???
I hope this helps . :)

For some mouths i've observed an elevation of the standard in flight oil pressure
at the same operating temperature. about 2-3psi..
was seeing 79-82, now 83-86..

I got the van's series oil pressure gauge/sender. IEVOP100 & IE 411K
and the plane/motor is 220h TT.

After reading your thread, i made some investigations..
i've clean all contacts but still the same.

it look like i got the zero offset problem..

Cold motor, don't run since a week (no residual pressure),
master switch on:

Oil pressure needle goes up 2mm over the 0psi stop pin. (around 1.5psi-2psi)
it seem's to be the same gap that indicate 85psi instead of 81psi in flight.

When the I.E 411K sender is unscrew of the oil line, breathing free,
same indication..
When i disconnect the lead off the sender, the oil pressure needle goes back to the zero stop pin.

I've check the resistance of my lead wire and it is normal.
I've check the resistance of the sender and it is 231.5ohm..
i've read It should be 240ohm at 0psi, 33.5ohm at 100psi.

The 8.5ohm delta between 231.5ohm & 240ohm can be significant to induce this little error in my opinion.
So y guess it is the problem. the delta is may be the same on all the range..

Do you think i'm right?

Is somebody can ohm test a working sender (showing a real 0psi)
to give us a reference?

it seem's that the I.E.411K is the same than stewart warner 201359.
(read on VAF)
mine look exactly the same than this one.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/3ZMAAOSwnDxUc4y2/$_35.JPG

Last edited:
For some mouths i've observed an elevation of the standard in flight oil pressure
at the same operating temperature. about 2-3psi..
was seeing 79-82, now 83-86..

I got the van's series oil pressure gauge/sender. IEVOP100 & IE 411K
and the plane/motor is 220h TT.

After reading your thread, i made some investigations..
i've clean all contacts but still the same.

it look like i got the zero offset problem..

Cold motor, don't run since a week (no residual pressure),
master switch on:

Oil pressure needle goes up 2mm over the 0psi stop pin. (around 1.5psi-2psi)
it seem's to be the same gap that indicate 85psi instead of 81psi in flight.

When the I.E 411K sender is unscrew of the oil line, breathing free,
same indication..
When i disconnect the lead off the sender, the oil pressure needle goes back to the zero stop pin.

I've check the resistance of my lead wire and it is normal.
I've check the resistance of the sender and it is 231.5ohm..
i've read It should be 240ohm at 0psi, 33.5ohm at 100psi.

The 8.5ohm delta between 231.5ohm & 240ohm can be significant to induce this little error in my opinion.
So y guess it is the problem. the delta is may be the same on all the range..

Do you think i'm right?

Is somebody can ohm test a working sender (showing a real 0psi)
to give us a reference?

it seem's that the I.E.411K is the same than stewart warner 201359.
(read on VAF)
mine look exactly the same than this one.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/3ZMAAOSwnDxUc4y2/$_35.JPG

The normal resistance of this sender is the standard 30 - 240 (same as many of the other sensors such as fuel level, etc.)
It is normal for them to have a measured value that is off by a few ohms at one end of the range or the other.

If I understand your statement above , the castle nut on the threaded shaft of the pressure relief valve screws away from the roll / lock pin , then when reversed screws back and stops when it is against the roll pin ? If this the case then the adjustment castle nut is Not installed properly . The Castle nut should be locked to the threaded shaft when the roll pin is installed , this is so when you turn the "Nut" the threaded "Shaft " turns and screws in and out to adjust the spring and Ball pressure inside the unit . Raising or lowering the oil pressure . Other type units that do not have this nut and shaft use washers to shim the spring tension up and down . PS I run safety wire thru the hole in the roll pin and tie it off so the shaft can't turn and change the pressure , just in case ???
I hope this helps . :)

My AP had me take the castle nut from the roll pin and screw it to the stop as a jam nut (up to the housing). Then safety wire through he roll pin.
So the adjustment could not change if the safety wire came off.

Is this in correct ?

mail exchange with van's if it can help

here is the mail exchange with van's tech service if it can help someone:

ME:
"
Good morning from France!

I own a RV-6 but i’m not the builder,
the the plane/motor got 240h TT, first flight in 2004.

The plane is equipped with "Van’s series oil pressure gauge".

Since 20H i experience a tiny oil pressure elevation on my related gauge at the same operating temperature in flight.

I’ve check the gauge indication when the engine is cold and not running since some days.
Even with the oil cap open, the gauge did not show zero… but a little more: 2mm over the zero position.
Exactly the same amount of elevation i’ve plot during flights when gauge showing 85psi instead of my previous normal 81psi.
I’ve clean all electrical contacts and put the body of the transducer directly to the plane earth with no result.

This look like a zero offset error form the transducer.

Do you agree with my thought about the transducer failure?

"

THEM:

"With your symptoms my experience is more often than not it is the transducer that has failed.
The IE-411K is the correct part.

Sterling
"

other info:
after some research and call's to ISS and Stewart Warner...
the IE411K oil pressure transducer is a:

Stewart Warner oil pressure sender 411K
or
Stewart Warner oil pressure sender 279B-F (it's a 411k but with a different reference because sell in a box. inside the box you will find a 411K with 411K graved on it.)

Hopping it can help some of VAF friends ;)

Last edited:
Back