What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ipad Checklist App

Charles C

Well Known Member
I am looking for a good Ipad checklist app for my mini. Has anyone found a good one that is customizable for an RV. I have looked at a few online but none are for a Vans aircraft. Some say they are customizable, but how much are they for an RV or experimental aircraft. I see Forflight says they have one, but I use WingX Pro for my navigation. Any suggestions would be great.

I'm curious - what "features" are you looking for in an App?

The electronic checklists I've seen let you tap to toggle them and some have a "clear" button to start fresh each time. Some support multiple lists. I've see "free form lists" and I've see "pick from commo. List items" to built custom check lists.

I am just looking for something I can create for my RV to have a pre check list before take off, preflight, pre-landing. Just a way to double check myself, some people have them on a piece of paper they look over before take off. it doesn't have to be a aviation app but something I can customize to suit my aircraft. I know Advance display has one you can go through on their system.

It's Not an App, but

I use an old school paper checklist (laminated) that I make up for each aircraft I end up with. It is a Word document that I print on 8 1/2 X 11 paper, fold in half and take to Office Depot to laminate. It will sit on a glare shield, or in a side pocket, or on an empty seat, etc.

It's here at the bottom of the page: http://www.rushesroost.com/index.html

I can't take full credit for it, I copied it from another one that I saw. I added the color and changed the arrangement. In this format it is as customizable as you ant it to be.

app store

look into AirCheck Aviation Checklist - not sure if they have a ipad but the iphone will work on the ipad

Thanks for the info, I will look into the app but I like the word document it will give a good start. This way I can modify it for my aircraft and I like the frequencies on it too. Thanks so much for the input.

I have been using "RV Checklist" on my (Android) tablet. The developer's website states that an iPhone version is "coming soon". In this case, "RV" is a Recreational Vehicle (camper). The app is free and straight forward to edit and works quite well. It wish I could change the background color for better contrast in a direct sunlight, but this is a minor gripe. I have a paper checklist and sectional in the cockpit in case of an "emergency", but haven't used either since I adopted the tablet.

I was looking for a simple run-up and pre-takeoff checklist.

I downloaded a couple of general checklist apps for my IPAD.

I put my checklist in my GNS430W.

In the end I just created a small checklist on paper with a dark background and light lettering and affixed it to the panel with "ticky-tack". Easy to see, use, and modify.

A complete pre-flight checklist on the IPad might have been useful, but for a simple one like I needed paper worked better. I am NOT a dinosaur (my wife would disagree), just practical.

Don

Use PDF File

I built a word document with checklist and emergency procedures that I fold in half and have laminated like the other posters which I keep in a pocket velcro'd to the front of the spar (between my knees). I also made a PDF version that I have on the iPad stored in Goodreader and in the document s section of Foreflight. I also scanned a kneeboard with the lightgun signals etc into a PDF and keep on the iPad in the same locations.

You cannot check things off with this method but it works for me.

Happy to email the word checklist to you so you can customize for your specific needs.

Aviator's Checklist

I have been using Aviator's Checklist by Satori Productions. It is fully customizable, and allows you to pick and choose at what point of flight you want to run through. It also has specific "emergency" checklists. Overall, it works well, but I find that I still use my laminated paper checklist more.

I can't remember what it cost. It wasn't free, but wasn't expensive either.

YMMV.

I use the checklist feature of the free FltPlanGo app. It is fully customizable, works extremely well and even has a voice feature that can "speak" the checklist items to you over your intercom.

To start, here are some things I do with the checklist feature.

1 - When setting up a checklist, make the 1st entry the checklist name. Now when you select the checklist it "speaks" the title and know you have the correct checklist without having to look at it.

2 - When typing in a checklist item, spell "aviation" things phonetically:
PITOT = PEETOT
EFIS = EEFIS

3 - Put a space between letters of an acronym:
EMS = E M S
RPM = R P M

4 - On emergency checklists, place an action item called "FLY THE AIRPLANE" as the first and last item on the checklist. This way it will help remind you to "FLY THE AIRPLANE" as part of the emergency checklist.

:cool:

Last edited:
Try "checklist again" app for Ipad/ Iphone. Fully customizable and easy to reset the checkmarks when complete. It has worked well for me.

Made the checklist as word DOC and then saved as a PDF. Then saved it to my IPad as a PDF in Ibooks.

Once opened you can,

I double click the home button then tap ibooks and the checklist comes up. It is nice to be able to zoom in on the print.

That way I can toggle between the checklist and the nav app.

Back