What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a new tube

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
While assembling my wheels for the first time, I managed to pinch the washer around the tube stem while tightening the rims. I only discovered this because I had to re-split the wheels for an unrelated issue.

I remounted one of the tires, and I think I got it correct, but how can I know? In the picture of the tube below, is an inlay of an inspection scope picture attempting to show where the nut/washer are in the slot of the rim (they are Matco). It seems to show a lot of play, and I didn't see that much when they were open.

Finally, I assume the tube shown is now worthless (is that a cut made by the washer?), and I need a new one. Did I also destroy the rim (see the other picture)?

Tube_zps7ygzmmot.jpg

Rims_zpsuw75jm99.jpg

Last edited:
I just replaced my tires and tubes - Cleveland rims. Somewhere it said to not use the nuts and washers that come with the tube. Must be the same instruction I used when I mounted the first set a long long time ago because there was no washer or nut on the tubes I removed either.

Tube is done! But a little filing will clean up the scars on the wheel quite adequately. If you want to get fancy dab in some JB Weld as filler.

Back