What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Idle Mix Adjustment, Bendix RSA-5

Low Pass

Well Known Member
Friend
Question about a Bendix RSA-5 fuel injection system. New installation on a flying -8, used engine, was flying several years ago with 120 hrs smoh. Preserved and stored in the meantime.

The engine runs well, smooth, good temps, etc. But I've run out of idle mixture adjustment. I'm at the last click, and I just barely get a slight rpm increase with idle cut off. Good acceleration response, smooth, easy start. But I'm wondering why the radically different idle mixture setting.

Question to anyone knowledgeable with these systems, is this indicative of a problem? Can I adjust the linkage to get back some added "adjustment"? (Not an option - figured this one out.) General thoughts? (Don't know what type injectors I have - will check next time at the airport.)

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

e77WDPqXn0vqrSGQc5jJ_oLaMf8zeddaKOMKWR9tie8=w276-h207-p-no

Last edited:
Idle mixture

You have the idle mixture adjusted all the way to the rich side. If the throttle plate is less than .006 open when on the throttle stop then you probably have a intake leak.

Yes, that makes sense. But I'm just not sure where it would come from as I just installed a brand new induction system with all new gaskets and components. But I will check again! Thanks

Loose fitting on the back of the fuel servo. Runs much better now! Lesson learned - don't assume anything when hanging a new/different engine, even one that came off a flying plane.

Last edited:
Back