What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attempt to Stop Rain Leaking Into Cockpit-Tip Up

mbauer

Well Known Member
My RV-6 is parked outside in the weather. Alaska can get a little rough at times.

Been thinking on ways to seal the top of the cowling where the tip up canopy meet.

At first bought new weather stripping from VANS. Installed, rain leaked through!

Next were different types of weather stripping from different places. Nothing would work. Sitting outside in the rain, even with a canopy cover on, rain finds its way into the inside of my panel.

Read here at VAF sometime back that someone had used tape across the top to help seal part of it.

My plan was to use some 3M 4” wide wing flap protective tape. The issue was going to be when the tip up was open, how to create a non-stick area that could fold instead of unstick from the cowling.

Decided to try some kitchen plastic wrap held in place by blue painters masking tape.

It worked!

Step one was open the canopy and make a small mark where it opened directly above the cowling,

Step two found me using masking tape to tape the plastic wrap the length that the 4” tape was going to cover. Then about 6” extra length of plastic wrap would insure complete coverage when the 4” tape was applied.

Step three was when I took a xacto knife and cut the plastic along the seam where the canopy and cowling meet. Now the plastic wrap width was correct. Here is a photo that shows step 1, 2 and 3 completed:
1.jpg

Step four dry positioning of the 4” 3M tape and cutting to the correct length. Basically centered on the top part of cowling along the flat portions, not on the curved sides.

Step five lined up the 3M tape, peeled the backing from the sticky side and stuck the 3M tape down along the path across the very top of the cowling, using at least 1” on the canopy and three inches on the cowling. Pressing firmly to insure a good bond along the length. You can see when it is bonded correctly, it almost can’t be seen. Here are two photos showing the 3M tape applied and the plastic wrap strip can be seen under the 4" wide tape:
2.jpg

3.jpg

Step six was to trim the plastic wrap to the ends of the 3M tape. Remove masking tape and excess plastic wrap to a dumpster. Photo showing 3M 4" wide tape without the masking tape and the plastic wrap is trimmed to the end of the 3M tape:
4.jpg

Step seven was when the canopy was opened to see if it worked. Notice the fold when the canopy is open:
5.jpg

My canopy opened in flight a year or so ago, it bent the aluminum frame up in some places-you can see the damage under the 3M tape in the photos.

Hoping this fix will stop most of the water leaks when parked outside.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

I do the same with my RV9. I use cheap vinyl tape. It keeps the rain out when flying.

Last edited:
I do the same with my RV9. I use cheap vinyl tape. It keeps the rain out when flying.

Hi Steve,

It might have been your post that got me to try this. Read it several months ago, I could not find it again, after looking for it and even asking if somebody knew what thread I was looking for.

After doing this, I think the 4" wide is way wider than needed, some 2" would probably work.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

seems like a canopy cover would be a good thing to try…
I've tried three different brands, did not try a Bruce's, a couple of friends mention they eventually leak in heavy rain. Same as all I have tried.

The best fit and toughest is one I bought from Aero Covers. They have great customer service!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

It might have been your post that got me to try this. Read it several months ago, I could not find it again, after looking for it and even asking if somebody knew what thread I was looking for.

After doing this, I think the 4" wide is way wider than needed, some 2" would probably work.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

yep, I now cut mine down from 4 to 2 inches. it's not the prettiest approach and will not win any beauty contests but it works.

I've tried three different brands, did not try a Bruce's, a coup[le of friends mention they eventually leak in heavy rain. Same as all I have tried.

The best fit and toughest is one I bought from Aero Covers. They have great customer service!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

3M Scotchguard every couple of years does wonders. I use Bruce's cover.

I thought about the mylar tape and it could be good. however, many years ago I departed Wichita just as the rain was ending. when I opened my canopy all the water flowed down into the back of my panel and shorted my radio. that was before I had an instrument cover for that area but nevertheless, the water flows in that direction also, backwards. with the tape the water is deflected and not allowed to run direction down into the instrument bay. perhaps the mylar tape would accomplish this as well, but the tape seals for sure for both directions of water flow.

I used my hand held radio to get out that day and the radio was dry and working again by the time I reached Tucumcari.

Is a leaky tip-up truly normal?

I'm not to the tip-up vs slider decision yet, but curious, is it just a known factor for a tip-up to leak? I've always wanted a tip-up, but living in Seattle, maybe that's not such a great idea after all. I can't say that I relish the thought of having to tape up joints on my new plane to keep my feet or the expensive electronic bits from taking a bath.

Just wondering if it's better to attempt to stop the leak or assume you can't and give the water a safe pathway out the bottom

:confused:

Certainly while on ground and parked, taping over the front of tip up canopy’s and/or a water proof cover that extends forward so as to cover the join, does work keeping the moisture from potentially leaking down over the panel and interior. On my RV6 (now sold) to stop leaks, I was able to use a small self adhesive sealing strip (from Bunnings aviation)(Walmart) where the canopy met the sub panel where the hinges are attached. Probably already done, but if not, the open gap over the top of the hinges needs to be simply bridged by a small piece of aluminium pop riveted (and siliconed) in place, then the before mentioning sealing strip can be a continuous, no leak run side to side. The hinges might need to be trimmed (filed) so when the canopy is open they don’t conflict with the bridging strip. With these things done the only possible leak at the front was after rain, the canopy had to be raised slowly so the water had time to drain off. Never had any leaks in flight.

I fly a tip up -7 out of Bremerton, WA where we get a fair amount of rain. I have a fabric cover under the canopy hinge area and it works mostly. Best idea is to avoid flying in serious rain. Important to have a towel to wipe off the wet canopy after fueling up during the rains. Lifting it up without toweling it off, causes lots of run-off to run straight down. I do not have a solution, just a towel handy. In flight, the fabric cover works well. It is just velcro'd into place.

More of the Same

I use 3” 3M tape. I cut a length that will cover about 2 inches past each hinge. Tape is laid on a table adhesive side up, and I then lay a 3/4” strip of electrical tape along the length/center. No water intrusion whilst flying - been working very well.
For outside tie-downs, I use a Bruce cover, but re-spray it every two years with repellant used on awnings. Seems to be working well.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Back