What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon AP Control Panel

jrock836

Well Known Member
I read somewhere that RV12's with finishing kits prior to 2012 may not have a wiring harness that will support the installation of a Dynon AP Control Panel.

Is there an easy way to tell if my wiring harness is or isn't going to be able to support the Dynon AP Control Panel? I believe my airplane's finishing kit was right around the time that it started being a supported item. I'm going to be working behind the panel next week, so if there's something I can check while back it would be nice to be able to check..

I obviously don't want to buy the Control Panel, if it's not going to work in my airplane..

Attachments

• dynon.jpg
    dynon.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I don't know the answer to your specific wiring harness configuration. But...

The Dynon AP Control panel is wired into the SV network. There are two nine pin SV network connections on the back of the panel. You connect one into the network and the other works as a pass through. Tying into the network allows the AP Control Panel to control the AP. Tieing into the SV network is all that is required to use the control panel to control the AP. This is how I have my plane wired, and you should be able to wire it this way regardless of your wiring harness. Just connect to the SV network. No additional wiring required.

However, this does not give you trim control and dynon auto trim. There is a 15 pin connector on the back of the AP control panel for the trim function. Auto trim is not required for the AP panel to work and I would not let that be a large deciding factor on adding the AP panel

I don't know the answer to your specific wiring harness configuration. But...

The Dynon AP Control panel is wired into the SV network. There are two nine pin SV network connections on the back of the panel. You connect one into the network and the other works as a pass through. Tying into the network allows the AP Control Panel to control the AP. Tieing into the SV network is all that is required to use the control panel to control the AP. This is how I have my plane wired, and you should be able to wire it this way regardless of your wiring harness. Just connect to the SV network. No additional wiring required.

However, this does not give you trim control and dynon auto trim. There is a 15 pin connector on the back of the AP control panel for the trim function. Auto trim is not required for the AP panel to work and I would not let that be a large deciding factor on adding the AP panel

I'm concerned about the disclaimer on the Van's website about the product. See attachment.. I don't have a clue how to tell the difference between the older "Conversion Harness" and a newer updated one.. Maybe someone here does???

If nobody knows the answer, I'll try giving Van's Tech Support a call.. The call volume is high right now, so I thought I would try this first.. Thanks all!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
I would think that a 120566 SN is high enough to be able to use the AP panel? Is there anything in the original KAI that might indicate that you can use them?

Your plane was deemed air worthy in June of 2013. I'd ask the original owner how long it took them to install the finishing kit, if they can be reached. Might give you an idea when they ordered it?

Last edited:
I would think that a 120566 SN is high enough to be able to use the AP panel? Is there anything in the original KAI that might indicate that you can use them?

Your plane was deemed air worthy in June of 2013. I'd ask the original owner how long it took them to install the finishing kit, if they can be reached. Might give you an idea when they ordered it?

Have been unsuccessful in contacting the builder.. Not sure he's still alive..

My KAI's don't address the Auto Pilot Control Panel.. The new KAI list it in Section 58, which is dated 4/3/14..

Last edited:
I have a VERY early build - -

I added an AP years later. Dynon '74' as I recall. The original wiring supported it. Your picture is not the same as mine. Has to be narrow to fit where they originally designed it. Not sure that answers your question - maybe.

When looking behind the panel, if the fuselage and options harnesses plug directly into the AV5000 box then you are plug in ready for the autopilot panel. If you see DB plug junctions between the AV5000 and the center radio support than you have the pre Skyview wiring.

Are you trying to install only the AP control panel or the entire Auto Pilot system?

Vans package RV-12 SV AP-Knob kit includes both the AP control head and the knob panel. But it does not include the AP servos.

My RV-12 is 120022 serial number. It has the conversion wiring harness. I installed the AP Control Panel and the Knob Module 3 years ago. I don't remember all the details. I did have to splice into some wires to get the trim control function to work, but it was not difficult. The AP Control unit should work with just plugging it in.

As another gentleman said above, there are really two separate modules housed in the AP control unit. The AP control unit is there and it works totally off the Dynon network. The trim control module is housed in the same box and you have to wire into the trim circuit if you want it to work.

I wanted both to work and did some minor splicing and it works fine. I got the electrical system printed out on a large, full size sheet at Staples. That allowed me to see the system easy. If you decide to install it, I highly recommend getting a full size drawing of the electrical system.

Are you trying to install only the AP control panel or the entire Auto Pilot system?

Vans package RV-12 SV AP-Knob kit includes both the AP control head and the knob panel. But it does not include the AP servos.

Just the control panel as posted above.. I already have a working AP..

When looking behind the panel, if the fuselage and options harnesses plug directly into the AV5000 box then you are plug in ready for the autopilot panel. If you see DB plug junctions between the AV5000 and the center radio support than you have the pre Skyview wiring.

Thank you for the info..

The original kit had an autopilot option to work with the Dynon D180. The kit contained the servos and a Dynon control panel. This was the AP74, which is now obsolete. I guess the kit included a wiring harness for this controller.

The picture posted above is of the newer control panel for use with Dynon Skyview products.

Back