What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FlyLEDs "Combo" landing/taxi light mounting

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to rivet the outboard leading edge assemblies together and thought that I should sort this issue out before the landing light brackets go in. I know that I'm not the first person to put these lights into an RV-14. Does anyone have pictures of how you did it, or suggestions on necessary parts?

I have the lights assembled. I am guessing that the best bet would be to get the W-00016B brackets used in section OP-52A to install the AeroLEDs Sun Spot LX, then drill the FlyLEDs boards to screw into the nutplates on the brackets. But I don't like guessing when others may have forged an easier path for me.

Also, a question: Has anyone had problems with the two AN3-4A bolts through the slots in the W-00016B bracket into the nutplates riveted to the W-00017 bracket providing adequate clamping force to keep the W-00016B from tilting up and down in a rough landing or turbulence?

The side AN3 bolts that hold the light have plenty of clamping force. Mine have not moved in 100+ hours and we just did a service on my friend's -14A with 230 hrs and his landing lights had not moved and were tight in the brackets.

Mounting mine to Vans supplied plate. Curious if any downside to having single taxi lite on the side instead of on top of the combo grouping. It fits the plate a bit Better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vuc8wpyjznd260/2020-06-20 09.54.59.jpg?dl=0

The downside would be the angle of the taxi light relative to the landing lights. For my taildragger, the up-down angle is most important. For your trike, maybe you can get away with less adjustment up-down and utilize the left-right adjustment you get by putting the lights in "sideways" like that.

How about the wiring?

Anyone mind showing a picture how they did the wiring at from the FlyLEDs ?Combo? landing/taxi light to the harness? I will mount mine the same as described above, curious about how folks did the wiring.
Thanks!

Slightly different approach

I purchased the brackets that would normally be used to mount the AeroLED lamps. I attached the combo to this bracket and used the two AN3 bolts on the fixed bracket to mount the assembly. This does two things. One it allows you to adjust the angle and two it moves it slightly forward in the cavity. One note though. You will have to trim the fixed bracket slightly to allow the assembly to be adjustable. I’ll try to post pictures and also post my wiring using the original harness. NOTE - last picture the wing is upside down on table.

Attachments

• L1.jpg
    L1.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 256
  • L2.jpg
    L2.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 235
  • L3.jpg
    L3.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 255
  • L4.jpg
    L4.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 245
  • L5.jpg
    L5.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 241
  • L6.jpg
    L6.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 229
  • L7.jpg
    L7.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Thanks so much, looks awesome. Really appreciate the pics.
I am going down the same exact path. I actually cut the housing of the FlyLed board to be circular and fit nicely behind the adjustable housing. Otherwise I couldn't really get the light in and out of the leading edge.

Will it fit into an RV-7 leading edge?

Will this light fit into the slot on the leading edge of an RV-7 to replace my Duckworks 55w halogen rectangular light? It looks like it might not fit?

I'm resurrecting my old thread to hopefully address a problem. I attached the FlyLEDs boards to the front side of the RV-14 mounting brackets using a pair of #8 screws. I can fit the board through the leading edge of the wing. But I can't get it to fit on the bracket that's riveted inside the wing. Specifically, the nutplates on the W-00017 Mount Bracket are too high.

What happens when I try to put the lights into the wing is that I can't line up the slots in the W-00016B bracket with the nutplates on the W-00017 bracket, because the taxi light of the FlyLEDs Combo assembly and/or its heat sink interfere with the edge of the circular cutout in the W-00017 bracket.

It seems that my options are either to cut away at the W-00017 bracket inside the wing or to fabricate a replacement for the W-00016B that has vertical slots instead of horizontal slots so I can adjust the position to clear all of the lights.

Before I start hacking away at things, I wonder if anyone who has succeeded in installing the Combo light in an RV-14 (or the RV-10 as I think it is similar) can offer some tips.

Thanks in advance.

Combo lights

I'm about to try this myself, I'm just waiting on the W-00016 parts to arrive in the next couple of days. Based on other people's experience, I'm expecting to need to trim W-00017 to accept the heat sink from the angled light.

I Did have to trim W-00017

Not sure this helps...but

I built brackets to hold the “combo” similar to vans bracket designed for the HID bulb. Its adjustable up and down as well as side to side.

I did have to trim the topside of the w-00017 to allow the taxi heat sink to clear.

Attachments

• AA661EE8-050E-444A-ACE5-476FEE2BFF2A.jpeg
    AA661EE8-050E-444A-ACE5-476FEE2BFF2A.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 294
  • EAC80215-2F9D-4B8E-B0C8-61DF6FD020C6.jpeg
    EAC80215-2F9D-4B8E-B0C8-61DF6FD020C6.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 2EC56444-860A-4826-8EAD-F86635885C87.jpeg
    2EC56444-860A-4826-8EAD-F86635885C87.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 279
  • 38E85309-E500-4B4F-92E6-881FFBC431D5.jpeg
    38E85309-E500-4B4F-92E6-881FFBC431D5.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 292
Trimming the fixed bracket for clearance seems to be what everyone else has done with success. That is probably what I will end up doing.

An alternative could be to drill holes in the front face of the fixed bracket and mount the FlyLEDs board directly to it, but it looks to me like the bracket could be too narrow for the predrilled holes in the board. I wish I had been more diligent about this before riveting the wings together. But it'll fly eventually. :)

Thanks for the pictures. I definitely wish I had done this before painting the brackets, but a dremel and vacuum cleaner are enough to take care of it in situ. One down, one to go. :)

Alignment adjustment or not

I like the solution shared by Swiss14A. Has anyone flown this. I am curious if the alignment provided by the kit defined mounts is satisfactory or if some means of an adjustable mount is preferred. I don’t do much night flying so I am not looking for the ultimate solution, just something simple and functional. I am building a tail dragger

Last edited:
I like the solution shared by Swiss14A. Has anyone flown this. I am curious if the alignment provided by the kit defined mounts is satisfactory or if some means of an adjustable mount is preferred. I don’t do much night flying so I am not looking for the ultimate solution, just something simple and functional. I am building a tail dragger

For my taildragger, I considered the sideways-aimed taxi lights a non-starter. I think they'd be great in a tricycle gear plane, because you could aim them to really light up the runway edges and see a deer running out earlier, when you are at taxi speeds and able to actually stop before hitting it.

I had to have the taxi lights aimed down in my plane, though, so I went with LR60's solution of modifying the fixed brackets in the plane. It didn't take much cutting and the light fits in nicely now.

Back