What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Send me a button...

N713R

Well Known Member
I am now an official member of the "I cracked the canopy" club. Please send me my membership card, and button. :(

Welcome! Eventually you'll spend so much more money on other stuff that the pain of the extra canopy will be long forgotten :eek:

Not replacing yet...

I am not to the stage of replacing it just yet. It is a 2" crack on the right side, second hole back from the front. About 1.5" will be visible. I have it stopped drilled, and plan to glue it. Then will likely find a decal or something to cover it. Airplane will probably still fly, though my Gold Lindy is out now. ;)

I can still say that I haven't actually seen a crack happen, but as I was standing two feet from Ben when it happened, I now know what it sounds like. :( I knew what happened immediately before looking at it...like Ben said, it's totally fixable at this point, and it looks exactly like what some others have posted pics of here in the past. Still sucks tho...

We'll get it fixed! :rolleyes: :)

still hurts

Welcome! Eventually you'll spend so much more money on other stuff that the pain of the extra canopy will be long forgotten :eek:

Cracked Canopy Member. Still smarts. Replacing a $20 part, small cuss word. Replacing a >$1000 part: big cuss word and evil glare from the spousal unit.

I had a period of denial where I was thinking about stop-drilling and gluing. As painful as it was, I'm glad I replaced the thing. If I hadn't, I'd have to relive the memory every time I saw my plane.

Go Sikaflex!

Don

Cracked Canopy Member. Still smarts. Replacing a $20 part, small cuss word. Replacing a >$1000 part: big cuss word and evil glare from the spousal unit.

I had a period of denial where I was thinking about stop-drilling and gluing. As painful as it was, I'm glad I replaced the thing. If I hadn't, I'd have to relive the memory every time I saw my plane.

Go Sikaflex!

Don

Don't you know it. I'm not sure if I set the stupid record, but close. My canopy was nicely bonded on with Sikaflex. Had it upside down on my padded bench. Walked past carrying a pair of vise-grips, when I tripped, big duh. I never trip. But there it was. The vise-grips flew out of my hand and landed precisely above where the pilot's head would be, making a big star-shaped crack. No debate about what to do with that one. The good news with the Sika was that I got the whole thing off with a couple of razor blades in 30 minutes. Luckily a local builder had a canopy he hadn't gotten to yet, so I got his, then ordered a new one that I turned over to him when it showed up. Took me about 4 weeks to do it the first time. With round two I went from raw canopy to the same stage (except for not dropping anything on it) in 6 days, including cleaning up & re-prepping the frame, and cure time for the Sika :eek:

Sorry for your loss

SikaFlex is really the best modification I made to my slider! There is ONE hole in the entire canopy - where the canopy latch goes through a 1" hole in the plexiglass. That hole was carefully drilled and polished - it's really the weakest link in the canopy.

With the SikaFlex, my canopy can expand/contract with temperature changes without putting any stress on pop-rivets and possibly causing a stress crack sometime in the future. The canopy is supported at 100% around the perimeter, instead of every 1 1/2" with rivets.

All around, the learning curve is not as steep as you may think, and the results are well worth the effort!

Yeah... i have been there and got the T shirt

It was a couple of years ago I cracked my canopy in exactly the same position second screw from the front RH side...
The noise is sickening because you know what's just happened.
The problem with cracking a canopy when you live in England is the cost of shipping, is almost as much as the canopy its self :eek:
Oh well that was $1700 down the drain...
Flying my Seven now makes that a distant memory

Me Too

I also cracked mine but did not have to replace it. Tap Plastics sells something that is supposed to seal the crack; it is IPS Weld-On 3 cement. I tried that, but was afraid to test the strength. Since I have a tip-up, I covered the crack with a targa strip. Not only does it cover the crack, but seal out the wind and rain quite nicely. I will have to say, that when the canopy cracked, it was the low point of my build.

C A Mansfield
N33WE flying for 3 weeks

Send me a Button, too

I'm not proud to announce that I'm now a member of the CC club as well. It's especially hard to admit because it was my own stupid fault. All the gory details are here:

http://www.BrucesRV7A.com

I am back on track now. I'm planning on using Sikaflex as I go forward. I'm not drilling holes in this new canopy.

Last edited:
... Airplane will probably still fly, though my Gold Lindy is out now. ;)

You're not alone, Ben. Cracked mine, flew it for awhile, then replaced the canopy ... and STILL didn't win a Gold Lindy.

Fix it, fly it and forget it.

Can you guys give us a hint as to what cracked it, so we can learn from your mistakes?

Just a thought

I was wondering if there is, or if there could be, a "half canopy flea market".

If there roughly as many people with cracked "front" halves as "back" halves, then there have to be some half canopies out there, potentially for sale, that would be the correct replacement half for the CC Club members to take advantage of. (More likely for the slider group)

Me too!!!

Mine cracked in the exact same place. Tip up. It was the LAST hole I was drilling. It was stop drilled and I wicked some thin plastic compatible CA glue in there.

My rear glass cracked when somebody opened the canopy and didn't know how to close it. Looks like it dropped the last foot or so and cracked it from the roll bar back about 3". I replaced the rear glass during the rebuild and Sika'd the thing in.

On the new slider 7 I'm gluing. I like the way it looks and no holes!!!

I was wondering if there is, or if there could be, a "half canopy flea market".

If there roughly as many people with cracked "front" halves as "back" halves, then there have to be some half canopies out there, potentially for sale, that would be the correct replacement half for the CC Club members to take advantage of. (More likely for the slider group)

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking when I cracked the front half of mine. I'm sure these forums and classifieds would be the answer, either to sell the unused half you have, or post a "WTB" ad if you're looking for one.

Can you guys give us a hint as to what cracked it, so we can learn from your mistakes?

I wrote extensively about my mistakes, Ian, for exactly that purpose. I hope to help someone else not make the stupid mistakes I made. It's all in my web log.

There are a few ways to crack a canopy but one cause that surely vies for first place is this one. With depressing frequency, a lot of canopies have been needlessly cracked because the builder was less than perfect in technique. The subsequent and often reported damage by builders everywhere is understandable given what I believe is a questionable suggestion written into builders manual:

"By countersinking before enlarging the holes, you can use a countersinking bit with a standard pilot."

Following that advice (using a piloted bit in Plexiglas) is to flirt with disaster:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=355369&postcount=1

Of course, YMMV.

I wrote extensively about my mistakes, Ian, for exactly that purpose. I hope to help someone else not make the stupid mistakes I made. It's all in my web log.

Unfortunately your website flat refused to load for me, and still does. :(

Don't leave your freshly assembled canopy in a location where flying tools can land on it...

There are a few ways to crack a canopy but one cause that surely vies for first place is this one. With depressing frequency, a lot of canopies have been needlessly cracked because the builder was less than perfect in technique. The subsequent and often reported damage by builders everywhere is understandable given what I believe is a questionable suggestion written into builders manual:

"By countersinking before enlarging the holes, you can use a countersinking bit with a standard pilot."

Following that advice (using a piloted bit in Plexiglas) is to flirt with disaster:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=355369&postcount=1

Of course, YMMV.

Thank you for reminding me about those no flute countersinks, just ordered one. They work great for fiberglass too- much better than fluted countersinks, piloted or otherwise.

Been there ,done that....

Mine cracked same place but not until I was installing the screw. Yes you hear that sickening sound.....
I got real lucky as mine cracked from the screw hole to the outside edge of the canopy. I screwed and gluded it for better support. 5.5 years flying now with no problems....knock on wood!

Sorry your canopies cracked. I keep thinking it?s just a matter of time before mine goes. So I?ve already kinda accepted my eventual cracked canopy event, might be less of a blow when it does !?

I am using a zero flute countersink, all the holes under dimpled aluminum ready to go. But the AACQ 4-4 rivets just do not sit right (in practice scrap plexi) where it?s just bare glass. Checking the specs on the AACQ 4-4, I see the head is 120*, and all my countersink tools are 100*?. Could not find a source for 120 zero flute so I have a piloted #30 120* coming.

Probably overthinking this, I?m not looking for the Lindy either but do want to do things right, especially right there on the highly visible front bow.

pk

Sorry your canopies cracked. I keep thinking it?s just a matter of time before mine goes. So I?ve already kinda accepted my eventual cracked canopy event, might be less of a blow when it does !?

Thankfully, this is a very avoidable club. All the great advice has already been given time and time again, but here's my two cents as a CC member:

- save canopy for summer - the hotter the better. 85+F. Not that you can't do it when it's colder, but it's one more factor in your favor in the summer. There's a big difference in canopy softness between 70 and 85 degrees.
- use sikaflex for the front half of the canopy. The holes under the most stress are on the front half, so better that they don't exist. You can use sika for sealing purposes the rear half too, but I still found screws necessary to pull the canopy to the skin.
- Use an extremely dull bit (grind one in cement for a minute or so) for any holes you drill.
- Most members of the CC club are due to cracks from drilling and stress around those holes, but you can also be a member due to melting your canopy next to a heater, flinging tools at it, or having it fly off enroute to the airport. If you end up in this "stuff happens" category, at least find a new and more creative way to destroy your canopy for our entertainment. ;)

long left to right crack in canopy

I hit my head hard on the canopy of my rv-9a and cracked it midline; right where my head/headset hit. this was from turbulence when my shoulders harnesses was not tight enough- i am six feet 3. the crack eventually expanded to be about 16 inches left to right; but i did fabricate a nice repair piece and glued with weldon per the acceptable repair manual (FAA AC 43.13) and three years late it is likely stronger than before. I initially didn't like looking at it; but now i like it::) stronger than before and a good reminder to tighten down my shoulder harness every flight:)

Last edited:
I hit my head hard on the canopy of my rv-9a and cracked it midline; right where my head/headset hit. this was from turbulence when my shoulders harnesses was not tight enough- i am six feet 3. the crack eventually expanded to be about 16 inches left to right; but i did fabricate a nice repair piece and glued with weldon per the acceptable repair manual (FAA AC 43.13) and three years late it is likely stronger than before. I initially didn't like looking at it; but now i like it::) stronger than before and a good reminder to tighten down my shoulder harness every flight:)

Dunno about the 9, but it's the *lap* belts on a 7/8 that keep you in your seat, not the shoulder harnesses.

BTW, I joined the club over Thanksgiving...parked on a ramp for several days (which I hate...always looking for a hangar) in some very cold weather, came out to the plane for the trip home and there it was: about 1.5" crack, just over the little lifting handle on the pilot's side. Stop-drilled and covered with some custom vinyl labels.

Attachments

• Canopy crack (2).jpg
    Canopy crack (2).jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Canopy lift here label (2).jpg
    Canopy lift here label (2).jpg
    194 KB · Views: 197
  • Canopy gust lock label (2).jpg
    Canopy gust lock label (2).jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 203
Potential cause of canopy cracks

I have three cracks in my RV-8 canopy. All three showed up after doing aileron rolls with passengers in the back seat. Not sure what is going on, but my theory is that the back seat passenger is leaning against the canopy frame and my less than perfect aileron rolls are inducing side loads on the sides of the canopy. I have "repaired" all three of the cracks using the plastic repair kits that have been used by several forum members. The repairs held up for about a year, until last week when I was cruising at 165 kts at 2500 feet on a cold 28F day and got into some turbulence with a few slide slip oscillations. Once I landed, I found that my 4" repaired crack had become a 12" crack.....I used black electrical tape to cover the crack with a cross, seem fitting instead of throwing tools or cussing the paint off the hangar walls. Yeah, stickers and electrical tape seem to be a placebo for canopy cracks. Out of sight, out of mind. Gosh, still looking for my 10mm socket. FYI, I have a brand new spare canopy awaiting install for the day that I cant see out of my taped up, stickered, placarded canopy. Vans stickers are great for cracks up to 4", Glock has a 6" sticker.....

Mine cracked 2" at first engine start (2012) on the passage side. Stop drilled it, then, it extended another couple of inches on a very cold morning in Richmond, VA. Stop drilled it again, used a little Weld-On on it and kept flying. After about 700 hours haven't found time to replace the canopy. I was thinking of cutting a little hole around the crack big enough for our terrier to stick his head out. He likes nothing better than to ride with his head out the window. (Don't hate me for saying it. We'd be sure to make him wear goggles.) Could be a market for an accessory like that.

Back