What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9a with alt. engine resale value

I built my IFR equipped RV9a with an Eggenfellner 2.5 NA Subaru engine and MT constant speed prop. I may have to sell it in the near future, so any guesses how much less value due to the engine? There aren't many examples that come up for sale, so any informed guesses would be appreciated. All the upgrades have been done- gearbox, etc., and I have 550 trouble free hours on it. Thanks.
Bob House N462BD

Alt engine value

This RV-9A was sold with an alternate engine (Jabiru 8 cylinder) and the asking price was around $20-30k less than a traditional engined version, in my observations. It took a bit longer than normal to sell.
https://www.planesales.com.au/detai...&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=2011 Vans RV9
The market seems generally strong at the moment so that is in your favour.
Those Subaru conversions were a bit controversial so I expect that potential buyers may factor in the cost of a re-engine.
Good luck with it!

If it was me, I'd figure out what I have in the airplane, then compare it to what comparably equipped Lycoming RV9's are going for. If what I have in it was less than the comparable Lycoming powered RV9's, I'd test the waters at that price. I'd probably factor in a depreciation on the Subaru based on an estimated TBO with no core value. Your goal is to entice people to consider your plane as a viable alternative- the market is good now so your timing is right on. Your market segment is someone who can't quite get into a RV, and along comes you to help him with their dream. Don't forget well built and well maintained airplanes have intrinsic value. Move the price down, if no one responds- your are testing the market.

Last edited:
Something to consider is insurance. When I was shopping for my -4 and getting some soft quotes all the underwriters were adamant on “No auto engine conversions.”

This may serve to limit your pool of potential buyers.

This RV-9A was sold with an alternate engine (Jabiru 8 cylinder) and the asking price was around $20-30k less than a traditional engined version, in my observations.

Two value factors here. Jabaru might have a little higher acceptance in Oz, and $68K AUD is about $52K USD.

I recently sold a near finished, heavily equipped RV-7/Eggenfellner turbo for a friend who was going west, well under $50K.

Since you asked, but as a buyer looking at it, I would value the airplane as if it didn't have an engine. So airframe, avionics, interior, etc.

Just my 2 cents, which are going down in value quickly.

The RV-9A is highly desirable and commands a premium price when built nice and equipped right. You have a VERY limited market trying to sell that plane/power plant combination. Most any potential buyer is going to factor in replacing the Subaru power plant and prop with a Lycoming setup. That is going to take a lot of money, never mind the time involved to do it.
If you are the builder, I would do the swap and and sort out the plane before putting it on the market.

Yahoo group

Are you on the Subenews forum? The group shares information about these engines and can be a resource for any potential buyers. I have 1200 hours on my 2.5 liter and so far shows no wear other than slightly increased oil consumption. I expect to replace the short block after 1500 hours or so. The cost of a new short block is under 5,000 dollars.

For the right person, the airplane could be a good fit. The market is definitely smaller for that setup, but for someone who has mechanical skills it would be a good choice. I would start advertising it at 20 percent below a Lycoming airplane and see what interest you get.

Good luck with the sale.

-Andy

Just my opinion - I wouldn’t even consider it an option unless it was priced well BELOW the airplane minus engine. There is a LOT of rework to replace a Subaru with a Lycoming and most of us would immediately replace that engine. Having said that, there may be somebody out there that really wants a Subaru that would feel different. For me, it’s market value minus about $40-50k.

Alternate engine

I’d expect the price for an alternate engine RV to be between 30% to 50% less than similarly equipped lycoming model.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. The irony is that I like the engine myself. It is very smooth and almost no vibration. But since it isn't a widely accepted alternative I'll heed the advice and see what happens at 20% less. I got my insurance through EAA and haven't had any issues- 80k hull and 1m liability for $860 per year, so the insurance company isn't concerned. At the time I made my engine decision in 2003 Lycoming had a big crankshaft AD and Continental had issues with brand new cylinders eating exhaust valves. My thought was, if they couldn't get it right after decades of building the same engines, it was time to find a new path...

Bob House N462BD

Back