What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop balance with Sabre Extention?

jeffkersey

Well Known Member
Had my catto 3 blade cleaned up and painted. Added leading edge tape to hopefully help guard against erosion from flying in rain and off a grass strip.
It does not seem to be as smooth as I remember it being before the paint and leading edge tape.
There is a Sabre extension on the prop. which puts it pretty far out in front of the ring gear. Is there any reason I should not be able to help balance it putting weight in the holes on the ring gear? The person I talked to about balancing my prop said he thought the Sabre might be a "harmonic balancer" that might cause a problem. I did not build my RV7A. Looking at Sabre's website, I don't see anything about them making "harmonic balancers"?

Bolts in ring gear for balance

I had my prop balanced by Tiffin Aire this weekend and they prefer to install weights in the flywheel holes. Be careful about starter clearance. Remember, the crank has some intentionally play fore and aft.

They specifically said they try to avoid weight in the spinner backplate. They implied they have seen cracks form over time in backplates. I know most balancers are fine going through the backplate. I don’t care so much in that the prop balanced well in the ring.

Back