What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X question (Garmin System)

UH1CW2

Well Known Member
I have a couple of questions regarding the Garmin G3X tough (GDU 460 & GDU 450).

When you purchase these units for the advertised price on the Garmin Link, What do they come with? Do you still need to purchase a Magnatometer, AHRS unit and Moving map software?

I don't understand what Garmin offers when you make a purchase I see that you not only need to buy everything ala-cart but you also need to buy install kits for everything? Doesn't Garmin supply you with the simple required items to have a functioning EFIS without spending thousands in addon's?

How do you know what to order when selecting GARMIN?

Call Steinair

They will hold your hand. I am relatively ignorant on avionics and all came in one box !There is also a complete list of SKU's and install kits on the Garmin website.

SteinAir

Do yourself a favor and call Stein Bruch at SteinAir, or Tom Stark at Stark Avionics and tell them what you're after. They can help save you a lot of time and frustration getting you what you need that will work well together, and can get you everything from just avionics in boxes all the way to a plug and play already wired panel ready to drop in.

Second that on ordering through a dealer. Stein has been great and has sometimes told me things I didn?t even know to ask.

The original installation in my plane was done by a ?professional ? shop and was terrible, so be careful. The installation manuals tell you how to do things but not necessarily how to decide what you want, and because the system is so capable and flexible, that?s reflected in the size of the manuals. Another reason for a dealer.

I have an as-installed document on my system that will give you some ideas if you PM me your email.

Ed

Hello Phil,

If you go to Garmin's Experimental Aviation page, and click on the Experimental System Pricing Guide along the left side of that page, it will lead you through the five steps to choose the system components needed for the system you want to install.

This is the same document our team uses at trade shows when assisting customers one-on-one to choose the system to meet their needs.

Please contact us by phone or email shown below if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Back