What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reuse intake gasket?

crabandy

Well Known Member
I had to remove an intake tube in order to clean out the threads for a CHT probe, can I reuse the gasket?
DAA16A92-DBF2-4658-8BE1-DA42DA930E32-13614-0000088830103883.jpg

027C8003-0F3C-4F58-A827-F8A1813F6A99-13614-00000888452B295F.jpg

definitely not

in my experience, these tend to develop leaks anyway. Be sure both surfaces are really clean. Light use of fine 3m pad soaked in solvent helps. Dont overtorque. Its easy to deform the intake tube flange. It needs to be flat...

That gasket is a standard water outlet gasket. Available at your local pep boys aircraft store.for the couple of bucks just replace it.

Bob burns

Cool!

I didn't even think of that, I have already included a couple gaskets in my next spruce order. I wondered why they were only $1.

That gasket is a standard water outlet gasket. Available at your local pep boys aircraft store.for the couple of bucks just replace it.

Bob burns

Bob,
Great tip. What Make/engine should he state it's for? FYI, most parts guys [in North America] will look at you strange, unless you refer to it as the thermostat housing gasket.
Charlie

i don't remember off the top of my head but it's either a standard small block chevy or a small block ford. most of the people working auto parts now day are products of the computer age. they can't find a part without make, model, and year. It's pathetic, when I was in that business years ago, I could pull most parts for a SBC or SBF from memory. I went to PEP boys the other day to get the stuff to change the oil in my vette, and asked the kid what the number was for a short chevy oil filter, he had to ask what make, model, and year. that filter only fit every chevy for 40 years. I have found it I want to find a part my spec, napa is the only one that still has parts books.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Last edited:
...Dont overtorque. Its easy to deform the intake tube flange. It needs to be flat...

Anytime I have these off, I lay some fine sandpaper on a flat surface (like a table saw or sheet of glass) and drag the flange across it. It does not remove much material, but does show very quickly if the flange is flat.

"most of the people working auto parts now day are products of the computer age. they can't find a part without make, model, and year. It's pathetic, when I was in that business years ago, I could pull most parts for a SBC or SBF from memory. I went to PEP boys the other day to get the stuff to change the oil in my vette, and asked the kid what the number was for a short chevy oil filter, he had to ask what make, model, and year. that filter only fit every chevy for 40 years. I have found it I want to find a part my spec, napa is the only one that still has parts books.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I'm restoring a '56 International tractor. You should see the look on their faces when I walk in the door. They don't like seeing me coming any more. Especially since the tractor was converted from a generator to a alternator system. They couldn't find the right plug to test the alternator. We have a brand new NAPA and my experience was the same as yours. Unfortunately, they threw away their parts catalogs and went all computer to help ease the move to the new store.

Oh, to keep this RV related I'm going to use the tractor to mow my farm strip I'm contemplating. ;)

Joe

Joe

Back