What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 pink top vs the older one

stamper

Well Known Member
I have found a kit that someone wants to sell and the top is not on it yet. I have noticed the new ones are pink. This kit was baught in 2007 I think. My question is is there any difference with the tops? is one easier to work with. thanks any advice would be great. Bruce

The pink tops are a bit better on the inside finish but in reality they both need work and you may have a few less hours on the pink. Don't let that be a deal breaker for the sale. IMHO

Last edited:
I mostly agree with Rick. I'm also building my second -10 and had a green top the first time. Other thing about the pink is that there appear to be 2 different molds and the interior profile is slightly different between the two. Not sure I'd say any are better than another thou, just different. All versions still have the flat part on the aft exterior door frame that needs to be fixed for example.

Color of the top isn't a real factor in work required or price.

Bob

I'll add to both Bob's and Rick's comments. The green top tends to require a little more work (and in some cases a whole lot of work) getting the interior surfaces smooth. It's not a really big deal if you have an orbital sander and apply a little filler. Aerosport Products also has a headliner that you can use that will hide these imperfections and reduce the amount of work you'll need to do on the top. There is no right answer here, it just depends on your personal preference and the way you want to finish your interior.

Like Bob mentioned, there are differences in the pink top too that only come into play if you are installing an overhead console. Making mods to accommodate the green top or the other pink top isn't a big deal either. It may take you an extra hour of work to make the modifications.

I do agree with the previous comments that it isn't a factor in the deal. One might argue that an older kit, that just happens to have a green top, you may be able to negotiate a better deal. Not due to the top, but more to the age of the kit and why the builder has chosen to put it up for sale.

Bob

thanks for the post back . it really helped with my decision. you talked about a flat spot or some sort that needs work, I am asuming it must be pretty appearent.

Its actually minor and hard to tell until you put the windows in. It is between the rear door jam and the rear windows.

WP_001464.jpg

Thanks for the info and picture. It looks like I am going to buy the rv10 and join you guys.

Back