What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safetying flop tube

crabandy

Well Known Member
Finally got around to opening the tanks up on my rv7 to comply with the fuel pickup tube Safetying SB. Not flying yet I'm on the slow build. When I centerpunched the nut with a "good whack" as directed the nut holding the weighted pickup cracked. Kinda hard to see in the photo but the crack is in the top of the punch mark. I'm assuming I need a new one? If I do get a new one how have others safetyed the weighted end of the flop tube? Maybe I needed more finess?
A4E29FC5-0D2B-4F22-BA7A-5B6771F72918-34618-0000561BAC650850.jpg

Flop tube

I just took a picture of mine. I'll send a photo if you like. The old way was safety wire. Maybe they punch them now.

Sure, I'm not sure I want to punch the new one when it gets here. I thought about drilling the an fitting and using safety wire but not sure I want safety wire on the end that is flopping around the tank.

You are mis-reading the service bulletin:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb06-2-23.pdf

The end of the flop tube ONLY gets punched to lock the nut. The Safety wire hole that is drilled goes at the bulkhead fitting.

Sure, I'm not sure I want to punch the new one when it gets here. I thought about drilling the an fitting and using safety wire but not sure I want safety wire on the end that is flopping around the tank.

Roger, punch mark (step 14) cracked the nut. I'm going to safety wire the top, debating If I want to punch the new one on the flop end to lock the nut or if someone has something different. Cover in Pro-seal, Directions have you proseal the threads on the pickup at the end?

Back