What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Got the Bug

Bwing96

Been lurking here on and off for 3-4 years and now I think i've bee bitten by the RV Bug. Don't have the time or place to build so looking more toward ready to fly. I've got a nice IFR Cherokee 180 (1972) and have only had more than 2 seats filled once in 2 years. Most of the time just me burning holes in the sky. Occasionally travel 200 miles or less but would like to do it faster.

I've seen a few RV's around and looked at them but have never sat in one and tried it on. I wouldn't mind a 4 or 8 but my wife prefers side by side. 350 of my 500 hrs was in Citabrias so which end has the wheel doesn't matter much. I have always liked the taildraggers and do operate out of a grass strip with 1300' of asphalt. Leaning more toward a 6,6a, or 7,7a. would like to have something in the 165-200 mph range. Still debating on my instrument rating. Would like to have it but know I would be hard stay current and don't fly cross country flights over 200 miles very often.

Love looking at and reading about all the builds posted here, my hat is off to those that build their own. Wish I had the time and dedication that it takes.
There is an EAA Fly In near by in Sept. in Monroe, La. (KMLU) I hope I can attend and see a few.

Welcome to VAF!!

Been lurking here on and off for 3-4 years and now I think i've bee bitten by the RV Bug.

Bill, welcome to the good ship VAF, glad you finally decided to take part in the activity instead of watching from the sidelines.

Good to have you aboard.:D

6a

I was just like you. I had the builder experience on other planes. Bought a 6A. Owned a Cherokee 180 and a C210E. For your strip you need a 6, not an A. Call if need advice 970-405-3457

RV6

Are the RV tail wheel models a bit twitchy on the ground? I know you must be up on your game and stay ahead of any tail dragger, but they look like they could really be a hand full since the fuselage is shorter than say a cub or citabria. I've always flown a stick with my right hand and my left on the throttle so how hard is it to get used to flying/landing with the left hand?

I've always flown a stick with my right hand and my left on the throttle

This is how the 3, 4, and 8 are setup, but you can also build one of the SBS models with a side throttle--(experimental thing remember?)---or just fly from the right seat.

The RV is an easy taildragger. It has great visibility over the nose and moves when you put control inputs in.

It's easier than a Citabria in any x winds in my opinion.

The only thing I've ever even considered close to twitchy in an RV is a light nosed 6 with 2 guys in no fuel. It's only sensitive in pitch when you get slow. You just can't fly it hamfisted. (-4 can be the same if aft of CG)

Welcome to VAF!

Bill,
You need to fly over to Farmerville (F87) one Saturday!
It's the RV Mecca of North Louisiana.

Looking forward to meeting you.
And yes, please come to the Freedom Fly-In at MLU on Sept.-15.

Photo of the ramp at Farmerville.
P1060763A.jpg

Farmerville

OOOOoooooooooooo that picture does make me sick! I knew there were some over there have seen several pictures of one you had. Just did not know when to catch somebody out there. I had heard one time that Glen Barron was out there building rv's, I took my commercial check ride with him 30 some odd years ago. Probably the last time I landed there. I'm only a 30 min flight away so be looking for me when Isaac gets out of here. Thanks Bill

Back