What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More inspection panels?

chubsterini

Well Known Member
Are there any downsides, besides added weight, against adding more inspection panels? Of course properly made with reinforcements etc.
Right now I’m thinking of adding one more to the left wing. But it would be good to have a general understanding in case I want to add more as the build progresses.
Thanks

I’d say if the extras are for viewing access only, easier and safer to use a borescope to see beyond the standard openings. I use mine for various hard to see places often, snap a pic for later analysis.

Personally, I wouldn't add more inspection panels "just because." If theres something you need access to and it's going to make your life easier at every annual inspection, then maybe yeah, assuming you can maintain the integrity of the airframe, but I don't see why a guy would need more in the underside of a RV wing unless you're stuffing some really interesting stuff in there.

A couple of examples that come to mind where it makes sense are the avionics access panels in front of the wind screen on the sliders and the panel that some people put in the side of the RV8. In both cases, I'd imaging some serious thought went into risk reward before holes started being cut.

In the best of circumstances, it's still going to be a trade off between weight/complexity/leak path/ugly vs convenience.

Access panels

I vote for installing such panels, on behalf of all future owners/maintainers of slider RV aircraft. Trust me when I say that, without access panels, getting to gadgets stuffed away up in there is NOT easy. :eek:

A couple of examples that come to mind where it makes sense are the avionics access panels in front of the wind screen on the sliders...

panel nightmares

I still have the scars from just adding a cigar lighter to my panel! For the same effort as these many access covers, would it make more sense to 'just' make the panel hinged and/or removable, with plugs at convenient points to break the connections? Many harnesses pre-fabbed for Dynon or Garmin are already close to this level.
Test: try climbin into the cabin ( you DID make both sticks removable, right?) stick your head and arms under the panel, dangle you legs into the baggage area, and try to remove and replace a simple lead on the back of an instrument. you can't see it, but it's there somewhere.
OH, you say you forgot the 11/32" deep socket and extension that you need, on the floor of the hangar?.....
rinse, repeat.....ad infinitum

Thanks for all the replies. I’m getting the message that I should try my best to avoid additional inspection panels. In my case it’s to retrofit a Dynon pitot, with regulated heater, into a closed wing. I thought I’d install it in the next bay distal from the existing inspection hole in order to stay clear of the bell crank workings.
I’ll think harder on it.
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I’m getting the message that I should try my best to avoid additional inspection panels. In my case it’s to retrofit a Dynon pitot, with regulated heater, into a closed wing. I thought I’d install it in the next bay distal from the existing inspection hole in order to stay clear of the bell crank workings.
I’ll think harder on it.
Thanks

Hmmmm, I changed from a piper blade to the Garmin pitot within the existing inspection plate on my 7. It was a bit of a puzzle attaching the backing plate(s) to the rib per recommendations, but not so much of a challenge to consider another inspection opening.

I used alignment templates with existing rivets on the outside first to ensure all was fitting as needed.

Depends on what airplane you are talking about. The RV4, and the RV6 (at least early ones), only have one inspection opening in each wing. Sometimes a little more access is better. The newer RV8, 7, 9 have two additional openings, primarily for Z-bracket bolt access (which the RV4 & 6 don’t have), but apparently that doesn’t negatively affect the structural integrity of the wing.

It’s an RV6A.
The pitot is fine, but that bay starts to get real crowded when I try to position the regulated heater. I’ll keep tinkering for now. No hurry.

Back