What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl Hinge Pins

Skot7ac

Hi all,

I finally have the 8 back in the air after a year and a half break. I’m working a few squawks and one of them is the cowl hinge pins. This airplane first flew in ‘98 so I’m certain quite a few things have changed, these pins have handles in the Flight deck and go forward through the front baggage compartment into the cowl side hinges and are very long. They have suffered over the years and I’d like to replace. It looks like Vans has a newer style, but I’m looking for any thoughts including the Skybolt system or whatever you have found to work.

I can't answer your direct question but you might consider shortening the pins and run them from the forward baggage compartment instead of the cockpit.

All three of my RVs have cowl side pins that go in from the cockpit side. I like the clean look it gives the cowl.

Buy new pins and fly on.

Carl

Skybolts! They are top quality and the cowling goes on and off effortlessly. After fighting with other cowl fastener methods on other planes I smile every time I use the Skybolts. Ours have been in for 20 years and more than 2000 hours and work great.

As much as I dislike the wires removing/fitting to hold the cowl I love the clean lines of the finished cowls. I think the rows of traditional fasteners look damned ugly!:D

Thanks all, sounds like new pins are the way to go. My look into the idea of passing them through the baggage compartment.

Back