What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming oil filler extension

I need to find a Lycoming oil filler extension tube for the O-235 C1 on my RV3A project. I have some part nos. but don't know which ones have the correct threads. The dip stick on the engine has 1-1/8 in dia. threads. I know that some of the extensions have 1-1/4 in dia. threads. Anyone know where I can get that info?

might try another thread

Gordon, perhaps try posting length and thread size you want in the classified section. If you are going for part number clarification, I'd suggest the traditional engine section, and you'll have many more eyes see the question. Hope your build is going well.
best regards

Tube

At least some of the 0 235 dipstick housings were metal as oppose to the current plastic. I believe the thread size is different also. I don't believe you will find a dipstick housing extension if its the old style.
I have at least one of the metal housings. Tell me what you need for length and I'll check.
You can also cut the tube in half and use a hose to extend it. The dipstick shafts are relatively easy to fabricate to custom length. Roll pin holds the shaft in place.

I need to find a Lycoming oil filler extension tube for the O-235 C1 on my RV3A project. I have some part nos. but don't know which ones have the correct threads. The dip stick on the engine has 1-1/8 in dia. threads. I know that some of the extensions have 1-1/4 in dia. threads. Anyone know where I can get that info?

It isn't clear if you have an extension that's too short or you need the entire piece. If you have one that's too short, you might try this. The guy that built my RV-4 used a piece of plain old PVC pipe to extend the oil filler extension. He used a PVC piece with an inside diameter the same as the outside diameter of the extension. Cut the extension in half at an appropriate point, slip the PVC (cut to appropriate length) over each end and glue. Surprised me when I first saw it but it works great. Painted to match, I didn't even notice it for several weeks after I bought the plane!

Back