What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Virb Video Try-out

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I really hadn't been watching the Virb much because I have a GoPro that I hardly use - but I got an opportunity to try one out today for the magazine and I was impressed. I strapped it to the side of my head (using the GoPro head strap - the parts are interchangeable), and took off in the morning light, headed towards Tahoe. Using the headset interface cable, the audio commentary is very crisp, and the video is quite sharp - depth of field is amazing. Here's a sample - the only real problem is that the file sizes are huge, and it takes a LOT of processing time to store and upload files.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMspoa9dKcA&feature=youtube_gdata

We'll play with it some more and post results.

After watching that, I'm curious if you have any plans of bringing more video to Kitplanes (online obviously....unless you have some magic up your sleeve for the print version I don't know about yet). I, for one, would love to see the video versions of your flight tests and walk arounds. There's just something about video that captivates. It would be a great addition to your articles!

We'd love to bring more video to Kitplanes' web site, and are trying to find a way to do that. It's a matter of trying to find the time and other resources!

The VIRB I used here has the "prop filter" installed, and it seems to work well! I haven't done the physics to figure out HOW it works - but it sure does....

The VIRB I used here has the "prop filter" installed, and it seems to work well! I haven't done the physics to figure out HOW it works - but it sure does....

Nice video. There was a thread somewhere on doing the same thing with a Gopro. You install a dark filter on the lens and it fools the camera into slowing the shutter speed to increase the exposure, which eliminates the ghosting of the prop.

Nice crisp video footage, and I do like your neighborhood:)

What is the exact version of that camera?
I see a half dozen different models on Amazon.:confused:

I like how the Virb has the speed and altitude display. Might have to get one of these for in the cockpit, and use my GoPro on an external wing mount.

Nice video Paul. Thanks for showing off your new neighborhood.

It wasn't a garmin ad, but i thought it had a great line: why put a video camera made for surfboards on your airplane? :D Gopros are such buggy bad designs, it's a wonder they are so popular. Glad to see there are finally better alternatives out there.

I like how the Virb has the speed and altitude display. Might have to get one of these for in the cockpit, and use my GoPro on an external wing mount.

Nice video Paul. Thanks for showing off your new neighborhood.

Where does the camera get it's info from?

Sharp video indeed, you need to scrounge around the office for a sample bottle of Plexus! ;)

Yeah - this was a quick "check it out" flight, and I realized the canopy was dirty as I climbed in. Was going to put "sorry about the bugs in the thread title, but thought people might think the camera's software was buggy.... ;)

What is the exact version of that camera?

The one they sent me is an "Elite" - searching on the net, I think there are only two - but also in two colors.

What's better Paul?

Well, the Garmin is simpler - you don't have a case to mess with. It also seems a bit heavier on a head strap mount. My GoPro is two years old - not fair to compare it to a brand new VIRB.

Where does the camera get it's info from?

It has an internal GPS and keeps track of everything internally.

I bought a VIRB at OSH. I have a GoPro also, but was generally dis-satisfied with the GoPro. I really like the Virb. The Iphone app for the Virb is not as good as the GoPro's, but the Virb just seems to function better for me.

Here's a quick video I shot with the Virb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHjNDYgNeqM

Back