What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pin Hole Fill

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Hi to all,
I'm getting started filling pin holes. I remember a product that was an epoxy that was squeegeed on. Polifil??? I can't find anything on a search. Is there anybody that remembers what this product was. Not sure of the spelling. Love this site..Thank Doug for a good job!

What have others used?
Thanks again

Straight west epoxy (no thinners) will work well using the squeegie followed by a roller technique D. Horton describes in one of his many posts. I recall he also mentioned "System 3"? epoxy worked very well for pin holes, it is thinner than west and likely to flow into the pin holes easier.

I used West System epoxy with micro into a thick frosting like consistency, and then used a single edge razor blade to "sqeegee" it into the larger pinholes and craters on the cowling and fairings. The pink cowling had some pretty big craters that needed filling. The micro is very easy to sand after it sets up and hardens. After that, I sealed up the fiberglass with more straight (on the interior) and some slightly thinned with acetone West System epoxy (on the exterior). The fairings and wheel pants had lots of little tiny pinholes and I used the same techniques on them. The straight epoxy is great for sealing up the insides of the cowling and wheel pants, especially where you don't want the fiberglass sucking up any crud or oiliness. It can be tough to sand, so using the thinned epoxy on the exterior worked out better. Van's suggests cutting the epoxy 50/50 with acetone, but I think that is just a bit too runny. Even cutting the epoxy with 10-15% acetone makes it much easier to spread on, and less runny.

I'm getting started filling pin holes. I remember a product that was an epoxy that was squeegeed on. Polifil??? I can't find anything on a search. Is there anybody that remembers what this product was.

You're probably thinking of Loehle Wonderfil, which appears to be repackaged Akzo Nobel 28C1:

http://www.anac.com/TechnicalDatasheets/AkzoNobel_28c1.pdf

What have others used?

I use plain mixed epoxy. The local GKN facility uses epoxy/cabosil, as does a prototype guy I interviewed recently. Some folks like polyester fillers, others try to fill with urethane high-build, and apparently a few use drywall mud.

Thanks

Thanks to all that have responded. Looks like I have a lot of good choices..I'm not sure about using drywall mud though.....

I wasn't either, until I tried it. It's the only thing I've used on the -12. I'll never go back.
I too thought it really funny when that thread cropped up last year mentioning drywall mud. My aircraft is unpainted. Just for kicks, I filled pinholes on my oil door with it about 6 months ago. It worked just like advertised. However, only time will tell (a) whether it holds up and (b) whether paint would adhere as well.

It's not crazy. The solids in drywall compound are similar to the solids in high build primers...talc and similar. The wild card is the 100's of different brands and formulations out there.

Randy, you're nobody's fool. What specific product did you use?

Last edited:
Just a little info about drywall mud:
Years ago when working my way through college, I worked for a gypsum company. They made drywall of different types (AKA "sheetrock") and drywall mud along with some other associated stuff. One of my jobs was making drywall mud. I would fill a big hopper with what gypsum plaster, water and a liquid material that looked & smelled like Elmer's glue...PVA maybe? Then mixed it all up. There may have been some other things, but that was the biggest part of it.

Randy, you're nobody's fool. What specific product did you use?
I'm definitely not Randy, and I definitely do not have Randy's amazing skills, but I used DAP when I experimented with it on my oil door. Wanted to stick with a major brand, assuming that their formulations would be more consistent than a generic "ACE-type" brand in the event I decided to use it on other parts in the future.

If Randy is endorsing it fully and (gasp :D) Dan is suggesting its use may be plausible, I may now give the drywall mud a try on my leg fairings and wheelpants. Sure would save me a TON of time!

Last edited:
I use DAP Wallboard Joint Compound. It's not like basic mud, it seems to have a liquid plastic consistency to it.

I just slathered up my upper cowl this morning. Tomorrow, it will be super smooth and in primer. There is so little compound left on the part once it's sanded. Just little specs in the holes.

So far so good, but I honestly can't speak to the long term viability of this process. I can't imagine anything popping out of these small pin holes but who knows. I'm guessing the paint matrix, once hardened, would hold it in anyway.

Not to fill pin holes but I used drywall mud to form the canopy skirt on my RV-4. On the -4 the canopy skirts are aluminum and require some forming to get a good fit where the two pieces meet and are joined at the rear of the canopy. After pulling my hair out trying to get them to work I cut them off at a convenient point on the sides (where they could be riveted to the underlying frame.

The gap between the canopy glass and turtledeck was only about a 1/4" or so so I waxed up the fuselage and such and slopped some drywall mud in place. Let it set up overnight and then sanded it to the right shape. I probably should have sealed it with something but instead just waxed the heck out it with car wax as a release agent. 3-4 layers of glass with epoxy and then trim to final shape and I had a perfect seal between canopy and fuselage.

Other than the amount of dust it was easy to work with and provided a nice surface to lay the glass down on.

Pin holes

The squeegee epoxy method works pretty good . I like to keep the different types of fillers to a minimum . What I have tried and works well on the stray pinholes and other in perfections that most would use a glazing putty on , is mixing a little micro with 2k High Build primer ( small 10 gram batch ) .

I have not tried the drywall compound , I figure if I am spending $4000 on paint material and 250 hours to paint a few extra hours using a known process is a good piece of mind .

I'm not trying to talk anyone into using drywall compound, but.........

I've not found anything that is lighter, easier to apply, easier to sand, quicker, and provides full pin hole coverage in one pass. The paint on my -12 will likely cost me north of $10K, so I have some level of confidence in it working.

Just try it on one of your wheel pants. They are going to get beat up anyway. You might be surprised.

PS - I consider the use of drywall mud as a pin hole filler to be the most significant build hint I've found on the forums over the past 5 years. Really.

Since I started the drywall pinhole thing, let me add something as to why it works and why it is Ok.

A pinhole is like a very small, shallow hole drilled partially into a material. When you try to press a filler into the hole, you can trap air below the filler, I.e., you just put a skim coat over and slightly into the hole. When that filler is hard and you are sanding the surface, you will be removing some of the original surface material. If the filler is very thin and did not penetrate very far into the hole, the pinhole comes back. So you do it again and this time, while sanding, you succeed in filling the previous hole but remove just a touch of the original surface and expose another pinhole. Just below the best paint jobs are some pinholes that are only partially filled!

Before using drywall mud, the surface wants to be finished to the point where you would spray your final primer coat before color. The dried mud is so soft that you don't remove any of the original surface while sanding. When you put on the epoxy primer it will completely saturate the dried mud. If you spray at this point, you might not completely saturate the dried mud. I used a squeegee to move the primer around because you want enough primer to completely saturate the mud but not leave enough so you have to sand hard and remove original surface material. On surfaces where a squeegee will not work, I would use a soft brush.

The final sanding, with 320 wet/dry used wet, is only to remove any roughness on the surface from the primer and should leave some primer on the original surface.

I use DAP drywall mud from the local hardware store.

Wallboard mud sand prime repeat

At an RV seminar I was at last year I heard of this pinhole fill process but have not seen it on this forum anywhere. Thin wall board mud with water, apply to top of cleaned cowl, sand with 120, wipe with cotton cloth, prime with sanding primer, repeat until pinholes are gone.

Back