What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N210 Laura Mike

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
After two and a half years, the plane is no longer running around naked.:eek:

Color selection, and scheme design by my wonderful wife Laura (not Lima), and a dream transformed into reality by the good folks at Art Craft Paint in Santa Maria CA, http://artcraftpaint.com/

I am quite pleased with how things turned out, Laura is ecstatic :D:D

Carrie%2520Hawaii%2520tirp%25202013%2520053.JPG

Lots more photos here, process from beginning to end. https://picasaweb.google.com/mikestarkey025/N210LMPaint

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Beautiful

Congratulations, you nailed one of the hardest things to do on a paint job - getting double tapered stripes to have a nice constant taper.

Last edited:
Set a chair in front of it, crack a beer and let that "done" feeling wash over you. Then plan a trip.

Congratulations Laura....and Mike. You picked out some good colors and real nice scheme. you have a great head turner on the ramp now when you travel. Well done!

Set a chair in front of it, crack a beer and let that "done" feeling wash over you. Then plan a trip.

Yeah, that's the ticket, a trip. It looks great. It would look even better in Homebuilt Camping.

Mike, that looks great! Nice job. I love the colors and the style. Tell your wife to work on a design for my 9A!

Ok, now I looked at all the pictures on picassa - you need to clean your garage out so the plane looks even better!! (this is coming from a guy that when I sent a picture of my plane assembled in my garage to my kids, all of their first comments were how clean my garage was fort the FIRST time!)

Last edited:
Way to go Laura and Mike! Looks awesome!!! :D

Show it off for lunch soon?!?!?!

Congrats!!

Cheers,
Bob

Already did that.............

The beer was a margarita:D

The trip is this Sat to Friday Harbor:D:D

Last edited:
I'm a bit disappointed. I hoped to see "Welcome to VAF" emblazoned on the side.

In all seriousness, that's a cool paint scheme, Mike. Very classy.

I'm a bit disappointed. I hoped to see "Welcome to VAF" emblazoned on the side.

Now that is a good idea------all I had come up with was Pinkie and the Brain characters on the tail, but Laura vetoed that.

Very nice!!! I found myself being VERY careful putting the tow bar on after paint :D

I ordered extra Paint Protection Film when I ordered for the flaps. I am going to cover the nose gear fairing, as it is not possible to get the cowling off without dinging the fairing -------unless I pull the prop first, and maybe not even then. I am also going to make some "washers" to go around the tow bar holes to protect the area from dings-------one of the few things about the Bogie Bar that I think could use a bit of improvement is how it can snap shut if you dont have a good grip on the lever when you close it.

Couple other places it may be used too, top of the nose gear pant to prevent scuffing from the leg fairing, and around the fuel filler holes.

Mike,
Looks fantastic! My RV-7 is scheduled to go to Art Craft for some color as soon as I'm done installing the new engine. Great folks down there for anybody looking to get a paint job!

fially painted

Mike;
its about time!!:D when I saw you at TSP I thought it was time you bought some rust olieum and spray painted the plane, you did far better. Beautiful looking paint job!!
Congratulations!!

Pascal
RV-10

Thanks Pascal, was good meeting you too, wish you could have stayed longer, would like to have spent more time talking to you and John (I think it was John??)

Next ice cream social :D

I ordered extra Paint Protection Film when I ordered for the flaps. I am going to cover the nose gear fairing, as it is not possible to get the cowling off without dinging the fairing -------unless I pull the prop first, and maybe not even then. I am also going to make some "washers" to go around the tow bar holes to protect the area from dings-------one of the few things about the Bogie Bar that I think could use a bit of improvement is how it can snap shut if you dont have a good grip on the lever when you close it.

Couple other places it may be used too, top of the nose gear pant to prevent scuffing from the leg fairing, and around the fuel filler holes.

Mike,

I found that I didn't like the look of the 3M film on the nose gear fairing because it does show a little bit. I have been putting a layer of blue painters tape on the fairing, then a layer of duct tape when I pull the cowl. No damage after 2 years. Also put the 3M tape on the inside edges of the upper & lower intersection fairings, as well as the joggle on the wheel pants to prevent scratching the adjoining parts.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Mike I really like your color combination! I have my paint date scheduled for July 10th; hope mine turns out as nicely as yours. :)

Bill

Wow!

She is a beauty.... and so is your newly painted 10.:D
Hope to see all three of you soon, I still owe you a steak at Harris Ranch.

Ernst, sounds fine to me, but we are gone all next week to the San Juan Islands ------ so it is going to have to be after the first of July.

Take care, and thanks for the compliments :D

Paint!

It looks really great Mike glad to see it done I know you been jones'n, I will stop by when I get home (3 days to go). Honk when you fly by!

Randy

Nice paint job she will get quite a few a few looks on the ramp.

Now as a previous poster said take that baby on a trip (if you guys ever stop in jersey the beers are on me )

Even though I am late to the thread, I have to say - Laura designed a GREAT scheme! Good job listening to her Mike. ;)

Can't wait to see it.

Mike and Laura, it is indeed a very sharp scheme.

Any insight-lessons-thoughts for the rest of us on the ease or difficulty of getting an airframe cleaned up for painting that has been flying for a couple of years? No problem?

Mike, maybe I missed it but I thought the requirement for the reg was to have 12" numbers. Why did you choose to have the smaller size? It's not 30 years old and I'm thinking you can do better than 180 CAS!

Thanks

A big thanks to all who have offered compliments, sorry I didnt respont to all indivudally, we are out on a friends boat and the internet connection is pretty sketchy....

Someone welcome the newbies for me for the next few days :D

Like Rosie always says, keep pounding them rivets.........

Back