What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What things / tools / travel tool bag to carry when traveling?

"Cross country" tool bag..

I'm putting together a tool bag to keep in the plane incase I need something along the way.

I just added an extra fuel cap and all O-rings necessary to make one work.

Just curious what you guys might carry with you.

I'm putting together a tool bag to keep in the plane incase I need something along the way.

I just added an extra fuel cap and all O-rings necessary to make one work.

Just curious what you guys might carry with you.

I too, carry an extra fuel cap, among other things. Spare innertubes, wouldn't hurt either.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I bring a sampling of tools & sockets you always use for your routine maintenance.

I add:
leatherman
2 brake puck O-rings
assortment of wire, term ends & connecters, nuts & bolts, electrical tape
cheapo crimper & wire stripper
duct tape
nose gear & main tubes
epoxy cement(can't remember the name)
gel super glue
extra led flashlight

travel bag

Don't forget about you and your passenger(s). You never know where you'll end up without food or water! Water, granola bars, other things to eat. I bring a soft sided cooler with ice, water, snacks etc in it.
Landed in Hornepayne Ontario (northern Canada), trying to fly as far into a front as possible (pouring rain) so it would pass us overnight, still VFR barely but the terminal building was locked up when we got there, pay phone only took calling cards and 800 numbers, no cell phone reception etc. Be prepared!

Definitely a leatherman tool, "100MPH tape" (the good foil stuff and duct tape if you have room) electrical tape, safety wire.

A spare spark plug, tools to install any spares you carry, and maybe wrenches that fit every hose connection in the plane.

And this sounds weird, but some tapered plugs that collectively fit all the fuel drains, and some duct tape to hold them in.

I drained some fuel during a preflight down in Punto Chivato, on the Baja peninsula and one of the fuel drains wouldn't close. After some time, a friend noticed that I was standing there with my finger on the drain and whittled me a plug from some scrap wood - scrap wood is rare there, we got lucky. A bit of duct tape got me back to Colorado. Without the plug I wouldn't have been able to take off.

Dave

A spare spark plug, tools to install any spares you carry, and maybe wrenches that fit every hose connection in the plane.

And this sounds weird, but some tapered plugs that collectively fit all the fuel drains, and some duct tape to hold them in.

I drained some fuel during a preflight down in Punto Chivato, on the Baja peninsula and one of the fuel drains wouldn't close. After some time, a friend noticed that I was standing there with my finger on the drain and whittled me a plug from some scrap wood - scrap wood is rare there, we got lucky. A bit of duct tape got me back to Colorado. Without the plug I wouldn't have been able to take off.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I carry a bag of the fuel drain orings in my tool kit, can change one out in a couple of minutes. PM your addy and I'll mail you some. :)

Possible stupid question

I have never had one fail on me but aren't spark plugs redundant?

I mean that is why we have two plugs in each cyclinder, and two mags.

I know you run rough but it is supposed to work just fine.

Is that not the case?

Or is all that redundancy just BS and in fact you can't really fly a plane with one dead spark.

I have never had one fail on me but aren't spark plugs redundant?

I mean that is why we have two plugs in each cyclinder, and two mags.

I know you run rough but it is supposed to work just fine.

Is that not the case?

Or is all that redundancy just BS and in fact you can't really fly a plane with one dead spark.

You can. It's just that you lose power and efficiency in that cylinder. Also if you foul the remaining plug in the cylinder, or the mag on the remaining plug fails, or....

Better yet replacement drains or plugs from your neighborhood aviation department.

Having replacement O-rings would be good too. What size are they?

I bought a fishing tackle box for much of my collection.

Better yet replacement drains or plugs from your neighborhood aviation department.

Having replacement O-rings would be good too. What size are they?

I bought a fishing tackle box for much of my collection.

Industry # 006

I.D. 1/8"
O.D. 1/4"
Width 1/16"

Just want to say thanks for the offer of o-rings and the suggestion to carry a spare drain. I now carry spare drains, and in the time since that one incident, have replaced another one.

Thanks, everyone,
Dave

The absolute best tool kit is in your wallet, a large limit credit card, with room to grow. Actually, in the RV-10 a tool kit should be big enough to weigh about 40 lbs. That solves the weight and balance problems with a nose heavy aircraft.

I recommend a wrench to tighten the bolt that attaches the stick to the elevator pushrod.

What's In YOUR Travel Toolbox?

I am beginning to put together a travel toolkit and am wondering what other people carry for emergency use while traveling? Safety Wire and pliers, Screw drivers, etc.... So what's in your travel toolbox?

2 Exhaust gaskets, several Camloc studs, RTV silicone, mag gasket and timing pin, ignition wrench set, 1/4" drive sockets and ratchet, 7/16 and 1/2 combination wrenches, paper funnel for oil, Pledge for the canopy, microfiber towels, tie wraps, safety wire, needle nose pliers, dike cutters, SIG 226 .40 S&W, a few Adel clamps, AN960/970 -3 & -4 washers, a small VOM, Bear Grylls Ultimate knife, a few ring and spade connectors, small roll of duct tape, first aid kit, combo screwdriver set, NG and MG tubes, some MS21042-3 and 4 nuts, 1 REM37BY and 1 Denso spark plug, 3' of 16 and 22 AWG wire, 1 set of brake linings and rivets, 5 min epoxy and some popsicle sticks.

Last edited:
2 Exhaust gaskets, several Camloc studs, RTV silicone, mag gasket and timing pin, ignition wrench set, 1/4" drive sockets and ratchet, 7/16 and 1/2 combination wrenches, paper funnel for oil, Pledge for the canopy, microfiber towels, tie wraps, safety wire, needle nose pliers, dike cutters, SIG 226 .40 S&W, a few Adel clamps, AN960/970 -3 & -4 washers, a small VOM, Bear Grylls Ultimate knife, a few ring and spade connectors, small roll of duct tape, first aid kit, combo screwdriver set, NG and MG tubes, 1 REM37BY and 1 Denso spark plug, 3' of 16 and 22 AWG wire, 1 set of brake linings and rivets, 5 min epoxy and some popsicle sticks.

Do you do your condition inspection while traveling? :D

Tool bag light - for minor problems only

This is based on my memory so I must have missed a few. I don't intend to carry enough for anything major. I did have once have a flat nose tire on a Sunday afternoon at an unattended airport. What I carried allowed me to continue to trip.

1. inner tubes for main and nose and talcum powder.
2. Screw drive with Phillips and slotted bits.
3. Spark plug socket (so I can replace the plug)
4. Commonly used sockets (1/4" drive): 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2"
5. Wrench set: 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 3/4"
6. 12V air compressor from Harbor Freight
7. Pliers
8. Hex key for nose wheel pant
9. 3/32 hex key for avionics
10. tire valve tool
11. assorted nuts, locking nuts, washers, screws, and bolts (a few each).
12. gear leg jack point with wing jack point (set purchased from ?)
13. assorted fuses
14. Duct tape
15. Electric tape
16. Ratcheting Screwdriver, Included Bit Styles 1/4 and 3/8 Inch Straight (this is very small for hard reach areas)
17. Flash light

Funny! i did have a dead mag at Pine Cay in Turks and Caicos and was able to locate a Slick coil in Trinidad and repair the EZ on the (deserted) ramp.

Last edited:
O Rings

Charlie,
The threads are awesome, I built my travel kit from reading them.

Two schools of thought on this: 1) 'carry enough to get cowling and fairings off, change spark plug and tire.' or 2) Paul Dye's new philosophy of 'carry a device with internet connection in order to CALL THE CALVARY....' (READ: VAF.com)

One thing that saved a snowboarding trip this winter was:

U-00015 Brake Caliper 1.228" 'O' Ring

I keep two of them in my kit.

deek said:
2 Exhaust gaskets, several Camloc studs, RTV silicone, mag gasket and timing pin, ignition wrench set, 1/4" drive sockets and ratchet, 7/16 and 1/2 combination wrenches, paper funnel for oil, Pledge for the canopy, microfiber towels, tie wraps, safety wire, needle nose pliers, dike cutters, SIG 226 .40 S&W, a few Adel clamps, AN960/970 -3 & -4 washers, a small VOM, Bear Grylls Ultimate knife, a few ring and spade connectors, small roll of duct tape, first aid kit, combo screwdriver set, NG and MG tubes, 1 REM37BY and 1 Denso spark plug, 3' of 16 and 22 AWG wire, 1 set of brake linings and rivets, 5 min epoxy and some popsicle sticks.
With a P226 it's not the condition inspection I'd be worried about... :eek::eek:

Component Specs List

Guys,

Excellent ideas for tool kits. In case it hasn't been said, carry along all of the specs for every component on the airplane. If you need to order an alternator belt or a trim relay, it's easier to do it from your "Maintenance Manual" then by disassembling the plane to squint at the parts.

Rob Erdos
Ottawa
RV--6....in progress.

Cash, $200, and a Visa/MasterCard (accepted everywhere) for an account you don't have to shut down because you or pax lost your wallet.

Enough money will fetch any weird part in 24 hours, even in the Idaho backcountry; your biggest problem may be communicating your plight. Put that up against the weight of taking sufficient tools to rebuild the airplane. I do carry basics, and not much is needed to completely open and service an RV. What is lacking and would require help is the ability to lift heavy objects - like a wing so you can use that spare tube.

John Siebold

Some ideas to consider,

Tradesman's style work gloves and/or disposable medical type gloves. Plastic baggie to keep them from getting everything else dirty.

Garbage bag.

Tooth brush for cleaning stuff.

Small towel (someday to be a rag).

Spare alternator belt secured to the engine case so it can be installed without pulling the prop.

Old pair of reading glasses (if you need them).

If the tool bag is getting too big, consider two tools bags. One for onboard all the time. Another one with more comprehensive contents for back country flying. Don't forget first aid items and a backpack full of survival /overnight items suitable for the terrain you plan to fly over.

Small baggie with some cash (for everything else) and picture ID (in case wallet is lost/stolen)

Bevan

Last edited:
This first aid toolbox was carried by a Piper Cub driver who made it from CONUS to Dutch Harbor and back.

Don't forget your trusty iPad (or dreaded "other" platform) has the capability of storing any PDF in iBooks (reader). I keep lots of reading material on mine.

Installation Manuals, wiring diagram of my plane, my POH, etc. You get the idea. Not that you need a manual to fix a flat tire but an exploded view of the brake system might help.

Also, Something to read while you are waiting for the VAF Rescue Team to appear...:D

vfuvwy.png

2dl7ta8.png

I used to do a lot of backcountry skiing and camping. One of the old time instructors has some words of wisdom:
" if you carry everything you need for every emergency you will be perfectly safe. You will never be able to leave the house because of the weight!"
Just some thing to keep in mind.;)

Things to carry?

I'm curious of what tools you normally carry on flights over an hour or two?
Thanks G. P.

Info

Couple things..
i always carry bottles of water and trail mix or snickers bars or something to just kind of keep the energy going and not let the pilot and copilot get uncomfortable. Been a real help...nothing worse than hungry, thirsty on top of a long flight.

Also, i always carry a basic tool kit that can let me remove wheel pants, cowl, inspection plates and other fairings as well as funnel and a quart or two of oil. Also, I carry tie down and control surface locks and light canopy covers always. You never know where you might get stuck, have what you need to properly secure plane.

Lastly for long trips I have a spare gas cap, spare fuel drain and nose and main tube packed away. I also carry one mag plug and one lightspeed spark plug, a few fuses and a small bag of misc bolts, nuts, tinnerman washers and cotter pins.

Last...I also carry a handheld com with the headset adapter attached incase com goes t/u on flights, and a spare headset. To be honest none of this really takes up much room. I have a couple of the RV bison bags, behind the seats. One of them carries all the stuff i deem necessary.

Tools and parts

So much has been covered in this thread. All good information. For local trips I carry a basic tool kit, can of flat fixer, a spark plug, a small parts box with various screws washers nuts etc.., extra fuel cap and some cleaning supplies. Cleaning supplies include a bottle of denatured alcohol, hand wipes etc..

For extended trips I carry all of the above plus additional tools, extra starter, spare tube and survival kit.

Can't be too careful. I hate the thought of getting stranded. FYI, all of the above stuff weighed 22 pounds. Not bad for the piece of mind.

Back