What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Akzo Primer Question: Amount

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
This is not meant to be a debate. I have a simple question:

How much Akzo primer to prime an rv?

I am building a -14, so it should be similar to a -7 or -9.

thanks
ken

If you use it very efficiently, a 2-gallon kit could probably do the whole airplane. Or more conservatively, you can plan on needing two 2-gallon kits. But in any case, start with one and don't buy more until you use it all up. It has a specified 2-year shelf life.

(2) 2 Gallon Kits

I primed the inside of everything except the empennage skins. I have about 1 gallon remaining out of 4 gallons total (or two, 2 gallon kits). Be aware that AKZO has a certain shelf life, so it may not be a great idea to buy it all now. However, I used 5-7 year old AKZO without any adverse effects..

shelf life may or may not mean anything. Most of the time companies just make it up to be conservative. It there really was a shelf live issue, then it would be shorter than 2 yrs.

WIth an epoxide and an amine, I imagine that both are OK for a very long time as long as they are in the can and don't see oxygen (amine) or water (epoxide). Maybe I will call someone in our epoxy business just to check.

Either way, I don't plan to buy more than a kit at a time. Just wondering how much I might need.

Thanks
Ken

Ken,

I just finished up the metal work on my second RV-10 and I needed two AKZO orders from Spruce. Granted the -14 has shorter wings but not by much. That said I have about a quart left. I'm not heavy handed on the gun and just go for even coverage. I recommend you order your first batch and see how your consumption goes. Need more...order more..and yes, I feel your $180 pain but when you have all those parts in that nice semi gloss green it looks so good and professionally done its all worth it.

Ken,

I just finished up the metal work on my second RV-10 and I needed two AKZO orders from Spruce. Granted the -14 has shorter wings but not by much. That said I have about a quart left. I'm not heavy handed on the gun and just go for even coverage. I recommend you order your first batch and see how your consumption goes. Need more...order more..and yes, I feel your $180 pain but when you have all those parts in that nice semi gloss green it looks so good and professionally done its all worth it.

I'm with Rick on this one. I used about one and a quarter kits on my RV-10. I didn't use akzo on the area inside the cabin, which can explain why Rick used a little more than I did.

Bob

An HVLP gun will help, as will limiting the thickness that you apply.

The specification is for 0.001 inch thick. Essentially this is almost transparent - just apply enough that no 'silver' looking metal shows.

This is the one bad thing about the AKZO product, it sprays so nicely that it is far too easy to apply it much thicker than it needs to be.

Thanks for the replies. I have an HVLP gun. I think that I am going to use Tim Olson's approach that he is using on his RV-14. scotch-brite, clean, spray. I am going to skip the Alodine step, since I don't want to use anything with Cr in it.

I will test out the priming on a tool box kit.

Cheers
Ken

Back