What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

16th Birthday Solo in RV-12!!

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
16th Birthday Solo in RV-12!! PICTURES ADDED

At 9AM today, Austin Malcomb soloed in N901EN, Eagle's Nest One. Austin turned 16 today and is a builder of the airplane. Austin is a third generation pilot, and both his father and grandfather were present. I doubt if there have been many builders solo in the plane they helped build, and do it on their 16th BD. Being involved in this whole process has been fun, but nothing beats today. Seeing these kids get their instruction, and of course their licenses, is a dream come true.

DSC_7846.jpg

DSC_7848.jpg

DSC_7850.jpg

Bob

Last edited:
Wow! I am Impressed!

At 9AM today, Austin Malcomb soloed in N901EN, Eagle's Nest One. Austin turned 16 today and is a builder of the airplane. Austin is a third generation pilot, and both his father and grandfather were present. I doubt if there have been many builders solo in the plane they helped build, and do it on their 16th BD. Being involved in this whole process has been fun, but nothing beats today. Seeing these kids get their instruction, and of course their licenses, is a dream come true.

Bob

...I really admire you Bob for all you have done in regards to helping youth with this project. You are what makes the world the wonder that it is. I look back at the effect and insight I would have gotten from this when I was young and only wish I could have had this fantastic opportunity. Our hats are off to you sir and all you have accomplished. If Anti-Splat-Aero can be of any assistance, please let us know. Thank you, Allan...:D

Last edited:
Congratulations Austin! You've already achieved 2 major goals that many others only dream about.

Fantastic

What an accomplishment! Remember that is a license to learn. When it comes time to choose between old and bold, opt for the old.

Bob;

That is great news. Glad to hear the flight training part of Eagles Nest is coming along so well. Building an airplane is great but becoming a pilot is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Morgan

I thank you all for the nice comments, and especially the offers, such as Allan's. We may need you yet again. This is a very fun experience, and to me, emotional. Without the help of some of you here, this might never have gotten going. We have at least five more solos to go, and that is just from the first build. There are four other planes being built now, and more to come. A personal goal is to see 32 done or working by two more years. It is possible...

Aviation is a wonderful thing, really more than we like to admit, and I think more than we really know. To watch what happens when a kid realizes that something he builds will hold lives, even his, in it is pretty amazing. To watch someone begin to understand the importance of precision, both in construction and control inputs, is priceless. Many of us are too old to remember those things as they came to us, but we all know they did. And somehow, we take those same feelings into other, perhaps more important, parts of our lives.

You will have the chance to meet Austin and others like him at Oshkosh. Make it a point to stop by. I am sorry he won't be able to fly in as he won't yet be old enough to have his license. He is a Sophomore. We expect a Senior to have his license by then. In the meantime, I will keep you informed on how it is going. BTW, Austin is on the 2012 AirVenture DVD, about 23 minutes in. ENP got about two minutes of very good coverage this year. Check it out if you like.

Wow! This is awesome! You fulfilled my dream, though, in my case it took me until age 32 to do my solo. Keep it up! And, you must build an RV-21, when you get the chance.

Tremendous achievement!

Congratulations to all involved. Looks like a totally successful individual and team effort.

Remarkable

Just fantastic. Congratulations to all involved. He should be quite a role model to his peers.

Back