What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove brakes

zlinman

I just opened my finish kit of my RV7 and looked at the Matco brakes. Maybe it is just me, but these things look like they were made out of spare parts from the hardware store. Sent them back to Vans for a refund and bought Groves. I went with his dual piston set up. Top notch setup. Is it just me?

Brakes

How long has Van's been using the Matco brakes? I read they used to include Clevelands. Can others chime in with their opinions regarding Matco, Grove or Cleveland?

I am getting ready to order my finish kit and I have also been wondering about the quality of the Matco's.

i love my groves

dont know about quality being an issue with matco. Their master cyls are fine if you add an extra spring to ensure they open completely. The two piston groves have significantly higher capacity.

How long has Van's been using the Matco brakes? I read they used to include Clevelands.

I asked the same when I ordered my finish kit earlier this year. They stated they changed to Matco in 2011 because Cleveland's price point was on the rise and they would not negotiate with Vans. They became to expensive so they switched.

I asked the same when I ordered my finish kit earlier this year. They stated they changed to Matco in 2011 because Cleveland's price point was on the rise and they would not negotiate with Vans. They became to expensive so they switched.

I'm guessing it depends on the kit model. My RV-10 finish kit that I received a year ago had MATCO master cylinders and Grove brakes and wheels. Before that, IIRC the kit had Cleveland brakes and wheels with MATCO MCs.

Last edited:
brakes

I did the duo piston Grove brakes and Grove master cylinders also. They work very well. Did Grove wheels as well. Ron

Back