What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good Money after bad

Cadstat

Well Known Member
My S-TEC auto pilot works for 20 minutes and then locks up. The factory said up to 1550 to fix it. It's now old technology taking it's info from a precessing DG. $1500 would put me half way to a new system based on GPS with couse intercepts and climb/desend alt, ect. I have two nice servos already in place but Trutak doesn't have an 'interface' for those servos. Does anybody know how I might integrate two old servos into a new system?

The alternate scenario is to pull the STec servos and sell them (might do better than you think) and start fresh with TT.

Dan

Maybe...

I used an s-tec 20 for years in my 182 and loved it. But it never failed me either. I paid about $8000 to have it installed. That is a single axis autopilot. Today I have a dynon D10A with 2 axis.

I feel your pain. I wouldn't want to uninstall something that might work with a little effort. If you have the time to do the install, I would look at buying a different autopilot like TT or Dynon. Keep your eyes peeled on this forum. You will likely find one used for a good price. Folks are always upgrading or doing something different.

$1500 plus tax/shipping can explode to $2K or more. You will be well on your way to a brand new solid state autopilot.

Just my 2 cents.

Sell the S-Tec entirely (if parted out you can expect from $100-$500 per servo, depending on who/when/where) and on the entire package you might do well enough to just buy a different brand entirely (adding in your assumed repair costs). Sometimes you can fecth upwards of $2K for a complete -20 unit...but sometimes only hundreds. In the end I think the time would be better spend on something else!

I'm biased, but that's my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Regardless you'll do better than certified... Looking at 10 large for the new Avidyn plus labor for the Bo. And that's using the Century 3 servos.

...must finish the 10...must finish the 10...

Jim

Go with what Stein said, I hear a lot of complaints from S-Tec owners in experimentals, especially after they forked out big $$ for a repair and things still arent' working right.

Whats wrong with a Century 3 in a Bo??

Nothing at all. IF it worked.

I'm in same boat...do I throw good money at the C3. Or a 'bit' more for a digital autopilot which adds a flight director to the Aspen...

Put the $$ into the -10 is the right answer...I know.

-Jim

Back