What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad charts

Steve Lutte

Patron
Heading out on my first x-country. I have an iPad and was wondering if anyone out there can recommend a good nav chart app. And please tell me why you like the app your using.

Wing-x

I have been using wing-x on the iPad for a couple of years. It has sectionals, IFR low and high, and all approach procedures. Very easy to use, especially if you are doing primarily VFR work. My wife uses it when she is on board to follow along on the sectional chart where we are.

Forflight has lots of features, but seems to be a bit more intense, and is a better IFR tool.

Either one will do a great job though, and are roughly the same price.

Ipad charts

I use foreflight mainly for inflight charts, and they're fantastic. I have not used Wing-x. I have been very happy with the availability of airport info, weather briefings, and approach plates on foreflight.

I have used WingX Pro and Foreflight, I prefer WingX pro by far for my IPad uses. The nice thing about both of the above, you can download a FREE 30 day trial, so you can try them out on your trip and get the one that suits you best. Best get them a few days before the trip, they both have a short learning curve.

Try SkyCharts Pro. The charts are very clear and it has the TCA charts too. Since the data display is small, more of the map is shown compared to the other apps.

It's easy to use and the display of airport weather is excellent. In fact it's my go-to app for checking out the area winds, which usually govern whether I can go flying or not.

My second choice is WingX.

Dave

Based on Pierre's recommendation, I got SkyCharts also.

Went to Oshkosh with it, to Homecoming with it, and just local stuff lots.

All went smoothly, and no issues at all.

For the $$ I think it is an outstanding program.

Mike

Skychart weather is limited to METARs and TAFs - a tap on the map near the the desired airport will display it. They are not decoded, and of course not reliably updated during flight.

erich

Charts

Foreflight - not only charts but also all the othe "stuff" you need to navigate - and land - around the country.

Mike

Skychart weather is limited to METARs and TAFs - a tap on the map near the the desired airport will display it. They are not decoded, and of course not reliably updated during flight.

erich

Eric, thanks for that. I have found the METAR stuff previously. I was thinking/hoping there might be real time weather info hidden away somewhere in the program.

Still, as I said before, the bang for the $$$ is pretty amazing.

Foreflight

Foreflight has lots of extra and fuel prices 'pop' up automatically on some of the FBO pages.

Dave, I was not aware of SkyCharts Pro having weather-----how do you access that function?

You need to have a wi-fi or 3G connection. With that, if an airport has the AWOS or ASOS data, it shows up as a circle next to the airport symbol. Simply touch it.

If you're having trouble finding it zoom out so that a major part of the country shows up. The circles are very obvious then.

Dave

The problem.

If you have wifi, as I do in my office, you'll automatically get the Metars. I asked Heikki how to NOT get the Metars when I want the A F/D page instead. He told me to tap near the airport, not directly on it and then the Metar won't come up. The little Metar circle becomes easier to see and avoid by zooming in.

Best,

Foreflight

I use Foreflight for all the reasons others have stated plus it will show flight conditions or fuel prices right on the map. Very handy.

I have all three and prefer WingX

-- I decided to buy Foreflight, WingX and Skycharts to try for the first year -- I much prefer WingX for my use and have purchased the life-time Seattle add-on for geo-referenced approach charts.

I will probably continue to renew a minimum Foreflight subscription because it also is usable on my iPhone and is handy when I am not near the iPad.

Back