What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Cover

TRT

I recently bought into an RV-6, and have finally finished transition training. The plane has always been hangared, but has never gone far from home. I intend to get out and see the country with it.

My question is whether anyone has a cover that they recommend. When I am at small airports, or don't want to pay an FBO to put it inside, I would like to have the interior sheltered from the sun. I can look up info on line, but if anyone has suggestions on which they have or like, I would appreciate it.

I have the one from Cleaveland and it works well. It is a bit difficult to get on by oneself in windy conditions sometimes because it is so light it slides off in the slightest breeze. With two people, no problem.

greg

You have to careful. Some places the wind will flap the cover and scratch your paint and canopy...

You have to careful. Some places the wind will flap the cover and scratch your paint and canopy...

Is that for any cover, or are you referring specifically to the Cleveland cover? I am considering one for my RV-4, so am interested in responses to this thread.

My airplane sat on the ramp in Las Vegas for a month last December-January after my engine failure, with only this cover. Yes, I did get a few small scratches on the canopy (hardly noticeable) in spite of significant wind and blowing dust. One would probably do better for such a long-term situation to have one of Bruce's covers with the special interior fabric, but for what it sounds like your mission (and, most of the time, mine!) is, the thin cover works well and folds up small enough to carry along on every trip.

my experience, anyway.

greg

p.s. I have thought about removing the straps and adding some heavy elastic straps with snap-ons, maybe three on each side. Such an arrangement would keep the cover much tighter, but I'm not sure I want to put snaps on the airplane.

cover

I have one of Bruce's covers, very sturdy and stays put. I use it all the time, even inside.

Back