What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator sag on RV-10

When I was rigging my elevator before paint my Elevator was dead flush.After painting it is not. I have seen a number of Vans with the same issue. My concern is harmonic flutter. Is this needless worry and what are the suggestions to fix it with out new fabrication.

Randy Means
N595RV
2010, 95 hours old
Merritt Island

I assume you are talking about the TE of the elevator is now down from level when allowed to seek its neutral point.

IIRC, the plans give a reference as to the allowed limit here, you might want to check them.

Randy I?m at the same point in build, the manual says to fully retract the cables, and adjust the trim tabs with a ~35deg down angle. (full nose up)
When I make this adjustment, I too try to achieve both tabs neutral at the same time and cant, one is down and one is up.
I guess I could make a fine adjustment on both (one up and one down) to make it more pleasing to the eye.
I?m betting it won?t affect how the airplane trims out one bit.
I asked Vans tec why the cam design for the two cable drives, he didn?t know but assured me that the tabs can be slightly off and all will function fine.:eek:

The trim tab rigging will, I repeat WILL drive you crazy:eek:...here is the fool proof method to get it right. Here is the link to Tim's site with that procedure. And yes you can get the tabs perfect in neutral, understand that they don't stay that way as the trim is adjusted up/down. Take a look at the overhead view of the cables as well. Yours should match the routing that the plans show. I had to tie the cables together to make that routing appear as in the plans due to the natural tendency of the cables to want to straighten themselves out. If you don't do this you will never get the required throw out of the trim tabs.

http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/maintenance/20080622/index.html

Last edited:
Back