What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do I need a new spar skin?

ppilotmike

Well Known Member
I was working on riveting the vertical stabilizer spar when I ran into a little problem with my pneumatic squeezer. Apparently the adjustable set holder in my squeezer was slightly bent, which meant that when the dies came together, I made some pretty deep smiles in the spar skin.

https://picasaweb.google.com/109414440645033591020/August42011#

Now these rivets go through the spar skin, the doubler behind the skin, and finally the brackets that will eventually hold the rudder to the spar. The smiles are deep but did not penetrate through the skin. My concern is that such a stressed area around the rivet might weaken the area around the rivet enough that I could have cracks in the skin, and eventually structural problems with the vertical stabilizer spar. Then again, the rivets are going through a good deal of material. I intend to see what the folks at Vans think about my predicament, but I figured I ask the forum too. What do you "experts" think. Should I suck it up and start on a new spar, or keep plugging (once I've replaced my adjustable set holder)?? :confused:

No they're not. "Oops... there's nothing to see here. Either you do not have access to these photos, or they don't exist at this web address. Please contact the owner directly to gain access." There's only an Osh 2010 gallery and a BBQ gallery off of this page to see.

I still can not see the photos. My Adjustable set holder said not to use the a dimple die with it. I guess they are afraid of damaging the threads?

REVISED: Do I need a new VS Spar Skin?

I was working on riveting the vertical stabilizer spar when I ran into a little problem with my pneumatic squeezer. Apparently the adjustable set holder in my squeezer was slightly bent, which meant that when the dies came together, I made some pretty deep smiles in the spar skin.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1094144...0/August42011#

Now these rivets go through the spar skin, the doubler behind the skin, and finally the brackets that will eventually hold the rudder to the spar. The smiles are deep but did not penetrate through the skin. My concern is that such a stressed area around the rivet might weaken the area around the rivet enough that I could have cracks in the skin, and eventually structural problems with the vertical stabilizer spar. Then again, the rivets are going through a good deal of material. I intend to see what the folks at Vans think about my predicament, but I figured I ask the forum too. What do you "experts" think. Should I suck it up and start on a new spar, or keep plugging (once I've replaced my adjustable set holder)??

Sorry about that..

Sorry guys.. I just figured out that the Picasa Album I was linked to was not accessible to the public. The pics are now accessible. Thanks for your advice.

I'm probably not qualified to say what to do with those parts, but I did find one riveting trick helpful to prevent things like this.

I put duct tape on the end of my riveting sets. It especially helped with the single offset tool. It wears out quickly, so you have to have lots of little squares ready to go. After I started doing that all of my smiley problems disappeared.

Averytools was selling little plastic bits that went on rivet sets, but I can't seem to find them on their website.

Those won't help with his squeezer. Mike, Those should be dealt with but you can possibly avoid buying a new spar. I'd feel better if I could see the back of the piece; you say they don't penetrate, but did they dimple the part below it and are they deeper than the thickness of the material. I can't tell from the picture. You'll need to drill the rivets out and disassemble the parts. Then, dress out the indentations; you want to get rid of the sharp inside and outside corners. A dremel-type tool with a round-tip grinding point works well for this. If you can dress them out without going through the material (don't skimp on the dressing out to accomplish this) then you don't need to replace the part. Fill the low spots with structural adhesive to give the replacement rivets something to bear on - better still, make a doubler (.020 would be fine) to go over the adhesive both to keep it in place and also make a better bearing surface. You'll need to go up in rivet length if you use the doubler.

Mike,

Patrick's fixes are viable and come from years of "fixing" stuff that was screwed up. You have an option other than a fix, order a new spar. Having pounded one of these airplanes to completion and starting on another there comes a point where your "gut" will guide you. If it hasn't happened yet there will be a time when you sit right up in bed at 2 AM knowing that rivet you set a few hours earlier and declared it "good enough" suddenly isn't.

Parts are cheap, the learning experience invaluable. Personally IMHO this is a "spar", a structural member and I would just order a new one. Drill out all the other parts and inspect the holes to make sure you didn't round them out or damage them.

While you're at it might as well order a spare set of "practice" trim tab skins...Two airplanes, six trim tabs..;) My last four of the six came out perfect!:D

If this happened on a flying aircraft, I'd say repair it with a doubler. The fact that you are early on in your build, buy a new part. Those "smileys" are very deep and generally speaking any "ding" that is more than 10% of the material thickness needs to be repaired. Well, there's no sense repairing your plane. Don't sweat it, we all have made mistakes and had to order some new parts. If you only "blended" (burnished) the marks, you'll always wonder if it will crack. Your conscience will be at ease if you get a new spar.

Last edited:
To replace or repair......

Mike, just thought I would chime in here after looking at your spar last night, and thinking about how this may have happened. First, I am not certain if all of the rivets that were smilied were the ones that were attaching the hinge brackets or not. But I suspect that this is what happened:

As you described to me, you started setting the rivets that attach the spar doubler and the angle brackets to the spar web. I think that you may have forgotten to adjust your squeezer to allow for the additional thickness of the hinge brackets, and this is why the smileys occured. Apparently the force applied was enough to bend the adjustable set holder on your squeezer. Then the other smileys occured because the set holder was bent. Maybe that's not how it occurred, but that's my guess. A hard lesson to learn for sure, but one that many others have also experienced to one degree or another.

After reviewing the wisdom of those that replied before me, and thinking a bit more about this last night, here is my suggestion as to how to proceed:

1. Send pics to Vans with email asking them if a doubler should or could be used here. They are the kit manufacturer and should be consulted for questions about structural issues.
2. Review AC43.13 to determine of there is any guidance as to applying a patch or doubler for a condition such as this.
3. Order a new adjustable set holder for your squeezer. It is definitely bent.
4. If it were me in your shoes, I would assess this as follows:
- Is the damaged part structural - yes
- Does the damaged area involve a hinge attach point - Yes
- Are some of the smilies deep - yes
- Would you sleep well at night knowing that the damage is there, even if the smilies are dressed out and an appropriate doubler is applied? (You'll have to answer that one yourself)
- can the same spar angle support brackets and the spar doubler be re-used if the spar is replaced - yes, assuming the integrity of the holes is retained.

Personally I am siding more with the recommedation to drill out all the rivets and replace the spar, unless Van's and AC43.13 provide recommendations for applying a doubler or other fix for this situation. That said, drilling out AN470-4 rivets is not the most fun thing to do. Using the removal tool that you recently purchased makes removing the manufactured head relatively easy, but poundng out the rivet shank can still be a challenge sometimes.

The best thing to do before beginning this on the actual airplane parts is to set up some practice pieces with about the same thickness as the actual parts, drill some holes, set some rivets, and then practice removing them. As others have stated, this will not be the last time you will have to deal with removing rivets, so the more you practice, the better you will get at it.

Lastly, when you finally get back to setting rivets again, using the duct tape trick mentioned earlier, or even masking tape, will definitely help prevent smilies in the future. Remember to always adjust your set holder to allow for changes in material depth. That built up RV-10 VS rear spar has a lot of different layers to it, so you just have to be mindful about all the material depth changes and adjust your set holder acoordingly.

If you need help removing rivets, just give me a call.

Bryan

https://picasaweb.google.com/109414440645033591020/August42011#

Now these rivets go through the spar skin, the doubler behind the skin, and finally the brackets that will eventually hold the rudder to the spar. The smiles are deep but did not penetrate through the skin. My concern is that such a stressed area around the rivet might weaken the area around the rivet enough that I could have cracks in the skin, and eventually structural problems with the vertical stabilizer spar. Then again, the rivets are going through a good deal of material. I intend to see what the folks at Vans think about my predicament, but I figured I ask the forum too. What do you "experts" think. Should I suck it up and start on a new spar, or keep plugging (once I've replaced my adjustable set holder)?? :confused:

Last edited:
Decision Made. Thanks guys!

Mike, just thought I would chime in here after looking at your spar last night, and thinking about how this may have happened.......

If you need help removing rivets, just give me a call.
Bryan

Bry,

Thanks for taking a look last night. I'm not sure how the set holder got bent, but I imagine it was due to using two "thin" dies and trying to pound a large rivet (i.e. not enough power due to too much travel in the set holder). I was very careful to adjust the distance for the extra material, so that wasn't it. Anyhoo, that doesn't much matter at this point. It's bent and I have already ordered a replacement of the whole set holder assembly from Isham Tools.
I contacted Vans and sent in pics of the "smiling" rivets. :mad: Vans recommended replacing the spar skin, which was what I expected. After reading everyone's comments, and sleeping on it (after our discussion) that's the way I will proceed. I'll drill out and dis-assemble the spar assembly, inspect and determine which pieces are reusable, then re-order those pieces from Vans, including a new spar, and start again. It's not a big deal at this point, and I agree with the comments about not repairing at this stage of the game. Besides I want the best plane I can make when I'm all done!
Thanks to everyone for your comments. This is one of the best things about building a Vans RV. The community support on this site is outstanding! Time to start playing with my new drill out tool that I picked up at Osh! Hey, looking on the bright side, I got another tool out of this little issue! :D

Drilling out rivets

Yeah, that really stinks that you had to drill out all those rivets. In the end I think you will sleep better though. Whenever someone makes the seemingly simple suggestion to "replace a part" the large amount of work involved to actually do that can be overwhelming. Sounds like you got them all out OK, so that in and of itself is a major accomplishment. I know you have a lot of repeat match drilling and countersinking to do to get back to where you were, but you will get through it.

Save that old spar for test pieces. Use the duct tape or masking tape trick in your rivet sets - that really does work! Also, when in doubt, you can always increase the gap of your squeezer a bit and slowly decrease it a little at a time until the rivets are setting correctly. I have done that several times on the first couple of rivets in a long series using the squeezer, without any problems with work hardening the rivets.

Back