What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is your solo CG?

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
A follow up to my earlier post on HS rigging. I would be interested in what others have for their empty CG and solo CG. Mine are:
Empty: 78.18?
Solo: 80.4?

Thanks,
Carl

Mine are:
Empty: 78.24” (IO-375, Hartzell CS blended airfoil, PC680 in the back)
Solo: 79.72” (Me - 155#, full fuel, 11# flight bag in front baggage)

Last edited:
Empty is 79.77, 1032# with XIO370, Whirlwind GA prop, Shoral 27a. battery on firewall, light wt tailwheel. Solo CG is 81.49.

Last edited:
E.W.C.G.

Mine are,

Empty Wt. 79.1
Solo Wt. 81.1, with full fuel and 15lbs misc. stuff in fwd baggage compt.

Angle valve IO360. 680 battery aft. WW200 composite prop.
Empty: 1135# with CG of 78.4
Solo (170# pilot, 252# fuel) 1572# with CG of 80.42

O-360, Catto 3-blade, without gear/leg fairings.

Empty weight 1004.8 CG 79.83
Solo weight 1494.8 (250 lb pilot, full fuel) CG 82.24-82.67 (zero fuel)

Still need to weigh fairings once I get them painted.

Thanks for all the replies.

The data confirms that the plane is not tail heavy, but that the HS is providing too much downward force. I?ll now proceed with the ?load the plane to increasingly aft CG? part of the test program. My concern is running out of nose down trim - but sneaking up on the aft CG limit should give me fair warning.

Carl

I am currently working on an 8A with an angle valve motor and Hartzell c/s prop. It had 12lbs of ballast bolted on the tailpost to bring the solo c of g into a reasonable area, no figures to hand.

What we did was remove the ballast as I was not comfortable with it being randomly bolted onto the VS.

The new c of g was in limits for solo, but when I test flew it, the aeroplane was awful. Way nose heavy, poor stalls, full up trim and residual back pressure on final - yeuch.

Now looking at a lead ballast plate in the rear baggage area for solo flight, which my friend normally does, and he is a light guy, so even more issues....

I am currently working on an 8A with an angle valve motor and Hartzell c/s prop. It had 12lbs of ballast bolted on the tailpost to bring the solo c of g into a reasonable area, no figures to hand.

What we did was remove the ballast as I was not comfortable with it being randomly bolted onto the VS.

The new c of g was in limits for solo, but when I test flew it, the aeroplane was awful. Way nose heavy, poor stalls, full up trim and residual back pressure on final - yeuch.

Now looking at a lead ballast plate in the rear baggage area for solo flight, which my friend normally does, and he is a light guy, so even more issues....
Instead of hauling lead for ballast, install a second battery in the aft battery mount.

Carl

A follow up to my earlier post on HS rigging. I would be interested in what others have for their empty CG and solo CG. Mine are:
Empty: 78.18”
Solo: 80.4”

Thanks,
Carl

Empty Weight 1012lbs
Empty CG: 79.02
Solo CG: (205lb pilot): 80:80

FP Carbon fiber prop.

Working on a engine/prop upgrade that should put a welcome 30lbs on the nose.

I did an autopilot and aoa install for a chap with the 8A, so it's not mine. We did the work over an annual and it needed reweighing which is when we decided to tackle the ballast issue. The gent flies solo most of the time and he isn't heavy, so we need to strike a balance of making it nice for him, but still in limits when 2 up.

Now if you set up an 8 to fly from the back.....:D

Back