What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A QB dilemma

buchaneer

Was trying to rivet up the angle and surrounding structure to finally fit roll bar for tip up canopy construction, when I hit my second chicken and egg scenario.
1) plans say to delay riveting until after riveting skins on which is not possible as there are other rivet to set which won't allow removal of angle to set skin rivets.
I have done what others have done and relieved locations on angle and accept 3 pop rivets for the skin at this location.
2) as it is a QB the side rails are riveted on making it virtually impossible to set the rivets on the angle in the area of the tip up latch. Even with a numatx, main squeeze squeezer and offset riveter I couldn't see how to set the outboard & top ones as all behind flanges. After drilling out 2or 3 bad rivets due to not being square on whilst setting I took a major work up decision.
As I considered these 16 rivets major structural rivets to be set properly I took the decision to remove the side rails to get unimpeded access. This action meant drilling out about 70 rivets to set 16 !!! Also will be delays refitting as having to order new rivets as all sizes Vans only supply about 6 of!
Did anyone else do this or if not how did you address this area of construction which is causing me ' one step forward, two steps back' syndrome!!!
Days like these really are a pain and sap your confidence when there is nobody nearby to discuss these items with.

I had found that more than once when the instructions say to do something in sequence seems out of step with reality; I either call in to Van's or I go ahead and do what seems right. About 50% of the time I'm ok to proceed as I thought.

Back