What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB 16-03-28/ aileron hinge bracket question

Jskyking

Well Known Member
Based on the “ new” SB design and looking at the way the bearings fit in the new races, it seems that the bearings can’t be pressed in. The bearings drop in and the riveted brackets close perfectly around the bearings. The SB instructions didn’t mention anything about pressing the bearings so I dropped them in and riveted in place. There’s no bearing play, so I hope that I didn’t miss something. If I did miss something, I’ve got some drilling to do in the morning. Any thoughts?
See pics below

Last edited:
Looks a similar set up to the RV7. I would say that if the two riveted brackets are flush after riveting you are all good. In my opinion, if the bearing wasn't sat correctly they wouldn't have gone together.

It is a snug fit but not a press fit. Should just drop in with maybe a little finger pressure at most.

Thanks for the replies. I think the bearing press was pre-SB when the bracket composition was 3 flat plates and the bearing was pressed into the middle plate and then sandwiched between the inside and outside plate....regardless, no drilling out rivets today-I hope

Back