What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Positive Results with Aerosplat Air Oil Separator

lr172

Well Known Member
I now have 60+ hours on my O-320. I originally purchased a cheap ACS separator and had a lot of oil on the belly. Even after the break in, it didn't subsided much so I replaced it with the Aerosplat separator. I have been quite impressed. It immediately stopped depositing oil on the belly and over the last 25 hours, it has still has no visible oil residue.

Thought I would post my results for others considering one. It is a well designed product that works as advertised.

Larry

You guys are checking the exhaust pipe tap on a regular basis, right? Are specific instructions regarding exhaust tap cleaning now included with a kit?

I clean mine every every 25 hours. It will have about a 30% blockage. Bypass check valve installed. Seems that engines like mine that burn about one quart every 8 to ten hours will regularly see some blockage. The clean belly is worth the extra maintenance steps to me.

I clean mine every every 25 hours. It will have about a 30% blockage. Bypass check valve installed. Seems that engines like mine that burn about one quart every 8 to ten hours will regularly see some blockage. The clean belly is worth the extra maintenance steps to me.

It's worth it to a lot of folks. Mooney, Cirrus, and CubCrafters, for example, all come equipped with a crankcase breather exhaust tap, and all have a cleaning requirement.

Unfortunately, no such instructions came with earlier Anti-Splat kits, and some owners didn't hear about the experiences of other owners (two examples below). I'm curious about instructions with current kits.

BTW, is the safety valve being sold as an optional item, or is it included with a current separator/exhaust tap kit?

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=121650&highlight=separator

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=118988&highlight=separator

Strap-on

I have over 100 hours on mine with the strap-on exhaust fitting and the bypass. The IO-320 oil consumption is one quart in 16-20 hours and I change the oil at 50 hours. No build-up in the exhaust which is checked at that time. Some oil on the belly that I would describe as a "haze" at most.

Dan

I have the complete system on my RV-6A and-10. Both have clean bellies. The -10 has some exhaust staining despite the longer exhaust pipes. Both have his bypass hose installed and both show some plugging at inspections. I.E., all the good and bad in both airplanes.

He now sells each component separately and an install kit with hoses, clamps, the vacuum valve, clamp-on extractor and bypass. The instructions include checking for plugging of the extractor.

You guys are checking the exhaust pipe tap on a regular basis, right? Are specific instructions regarding exhaust tap cleaning now included with a kit?

Mine is not plumbed into the exhaust, just a simple exit tube into the air stream. Separator works well enough that this setup is quite adequate with no oil to wipe off the belly. It is cold now, so not cleaning the belly. There may be a haze coating, but no visible oil. I didn't want the hassle or risk involved with the exhaust plumbing.

Larry

Last edited:
300+ Hours

I have over 300 hours on my AntiSplat oil separator. Works great. The belly is always clean. I did my first exhaust breather tube inspection after 150 hours. There was a small build up on the sides of the tube, maybe a 20% blockage. Now I check the tube with every oil change. Typically, I see just a tiny bit of gunk. I only burn about a quart of oil every 30 hours, on an engine that was new for the first flight. It's very easy to check and clean, so it is now a part of every normal oil change.

I've got the original clamp on system without the bypass. About 150 hrs on it. I remove the device from the exhaust pipe at every oil change and clean any residue. I've never seen more than a very minor build up. Process takes about 15 minutes and I do it while the oil is draining. My belly stays clean with the exception of a minor hazing which I also remove at oil change time. Any minor seeps I may have had on the engine were solved as well. My O320 stays clean and dry. Allen has a good product here and the only thing I might change would be the addition of the safety valve for the just in case times. This product works for me and my installation. Your experience may be different, especially with a 6 cylinder engine.

PS: I also had Allen do the sealed bearing mod to my main wheels. I just remove the wheels, clean and inspect them at each condition inspection. No more cleaning and greasing of bearings. WOO Hooo!!!!

Mine is not plumbed into the exhaust, just a simple exit tube into the air stream. Separator works well enough that this setup is quite adequate with no oil to wipe off the belly. It is cold now, so not cleaning the belly. There may be a haze coating, but no visible oil. I didn't want the hassle or risk involved with the exhaust plumbing.

Larry

same setup here...very happy

Over 300 hours this past 14 months for my separator/bypass kit.

Works great and I do the exhaust venturi PM at each oil change (about 40 tach hours).

All I see is some blue/grey residue on the belly and tailwheel spring that I believe to be lead???

:) CJ

Larry

This is exactly what I'm doing. Anti Splat Separator is well made and appears effective. Most of the gain & minimum risk. Can always add the exhaust tap later.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Dues+ gladly paid. THANKS DOUG!!!

Last edited:
Installed the AntiSplat air oil separator (without the into exhaust pipe fitting) during my annual last week. I've flown 3 flights since...about 2 hours total and so far...clean belly. Before I had a bit of oil on the belly and dripping from the breather tube on the exhaust pipe and hangar floor after every flight. Hurray for AntiSplat. May install the "into exhaust" fitting if this result continues.

Back