What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hall effect sensor mounting

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
So, how many of you with GRT systems have wondered about the best way to install the Hall Effect sensor that is used to sense the amp meter input???

I was concerned about just letting it bounce around back behind the panel, so I called the company, and was told there is no specific way to do it.

I had thought of just jamming a bunch of sponge rubber in around the wire, zip ties in a criss-cross pattern, ETC.

So, after sitting back and enjoying a glass of white Zin, while I pondered the issue, it suddenly came to me.

SUNP0012.jpg

And, here it is put together.

SUNP0010.jpg

Yep, the wine bottle cork is just the right size!!!

I drilled the hole in the cork under sized, wanted it to grab onto the wire, not slide around.

I will use a bit of "Shoe Goo" on final install just to make sure it all stays put.

Last edited:
Wine Hall Effect Sensor

Mike,

That is such a neat and cool idea. I mounted mine with corrugated cable conduit, tiewraps and goop, but I'll definately taking mine off and copying your idea!

Allan

Allan, thanks for the compliment.

The cork doesnt drill very well, but, hey they are cheap enough to make a couple of mistakes.

And the side benefit----extra open bottle of wine--- of the mistake is pretty easy to deal with too.

Mike, I may make a mistake in drilling the first cork......and may have to find a second.....2 open bottles of wine, what a shame.

Allan

Great idea! And I have a ton of corks around here;)

How are you mounting the sensor though?

Jim
(this is my last sensor!)

I will get a photo up tomorrow-----------

Basically, I ran the wire through the sub panel, installed the cork filled sensor, and then a tab riveted to the longereon, with a clip to hold the wire.

The sensor is suspended on the wire, with a support on either side, all within about 6 inches or so. The wire carries the weight of the sensor.

Cant remember the criteria for this without consulting the manual, but I know on my set up, the wire needed to wrap around the donut sensor so that it passed thru the center hole twice instead of just once. You may need an extra straw hole in the cork!

erich

Cant remember the criteria for this without consulting the manual, but I know on my set up, the wire needed to wrap around the donut sensor so that it passed thru the center hole twice instead of just once. You may need an extra straw hole in the cork!

erich

Has to do with the range you want the ammeter to see.

In my case, with a 60 amp alternator, I only had to go through the donut once.

I would think that two or more turns will still work, just going to need to play with the cork design a bit. Might end up being fun!!!

Photo

Here is a shot of how I mounted the Hall effect sensor.

SUNP0010.jpg

In addition, just below the sensor in the photo, you can see a tab I riveted to the longereon, has 3 snap bushings in it. One will be for AHRS/Magnetometer lines, other for rear seat headsets.

Also, common ground for all electronics mid left of photo.

Last edited:
Which of These?

So, how many of you with GRT systems have wondered about the best way to install the Hall Effect sensor that is used to sense the amp meter input???

I was concerned about just letting it bounce around back behind the panel, so I called the company, and was told there is no specific way to do it.

I had thought of just jamming a bunch of sponge rubber in around the wire, zip ties in a criss-cross pattern, ETC.

So, after sitting back and enjoying a glass of white Zin, while I pondered the issue, it suddenly came to me.

SUNP0012.jpg

And, here it is put together.

SUNP0010.jpg

Yep, the wine bottle cork is just the right size!!!

I drilled the hole in the cork under sized, wanted it to grab onto the wire, not slide around.

I will use a bit of "Shoe Goo" on final install just to make sure it all stays put.

Just in Time! My GRT donuts will be here Tues. But, Mike, which one of these will work best?
Corks.jpg

I mounted my sensor with a large Adel clamp around the circumference.

Went with RTV in the middle though, because Im not quite as clever as Mike

Back