What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Veterans Day 22’

smokyray

Well Known Member
I always have mixed emotions when the pastor of our church invites Veterans to stand on Vets Day Sunday services. I think of all my friends, here still or gone west, scary nights over unfriendly lands, unbelievable joy and camaraderie and the hours strapped to a still amazing Jet Fighter.

For these blessings I’m truly thankful, Happy Veterans Day (a few days early) Vets!

V/R
Smokey

PS: I recently helped my friend and former AF Test Pilot now Lockheed TP “Magoo” locate and purchase a nice RV8 in Maine! Even cooler is the builder/owner was a Green Beret in Viet Nam. :)

PSS: Thanks to my good friend DR for this amazing site!

Last edited:
Veterans Day

Smokey , happy Veterans Day to you. I live in a veterans town where we have a great VA hospital and the SD State Veterans home. Needless to say this holiday is well celebrated here. I will be the guest speaker this year talking about some Vietnam statistics and my experience flying the YO-3A there.

Smokey, totally understand, it has taken me a while to come to grips with "thank you for your service." I am forever grateful that you took pity on this Salty Brother of a Pointy Nosed Mother and found me an RV. You do God's work in so many ways! Proud to have your acquaintance. Happy Veteran's Day!

Salute to all Veterans!

Yes....thank you Veterans!!! I am eternally grateful for those past and present. I am glad to have served and that I took the opportunity. Three of our children followed and served and my son and son-in-law are doing so right now!

My memory scrapbook "in my mind" reflects back to those days with extreme joy and satisfaction that I took the time in the military. I even have a photo album that I leaf through from time to time.....great times!!!

A couple shots of my "Tweet" ride for being crew chief of the quarter with 1st Lieutenant "Spike" Murphy. Ever in my memory.....

WAFB PICS 1.jpg

WAFB PICS 2a.jpg

Vets day

Happy Veterans Day. So many great memories flying Chinooks. My wife still calls it the other woman.

Salute to all Vets

Right back at you Smoky.

A little Bear hunting in the northern Sea of Japan a while back.......

Attachments

• BearHunting.jpg
    BearHunting.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 87
Yes....thank you Veterans!!! I am eternally grateful for those past and present. I am glad to have served and that I took the opportunity. Three of our children followed and served and my son and son-in-law are doing so right now!

My memory scrapbook "in my mind" reflects back to those days with extreme joy and satisfaction that I took the time in the military. I even have a photo album that I leaf through from time to time.....great times!!!

A couple shots of my "Tweet" ride for being crew chief of the quarter with 1st Lieutenant "Spike" Murphy. Ever in my memory.....

View attachment 33237

View attachment 33238

Yes, thank you Vets!! One of my greatest regrets was not serving. So I do appreciate those who do and did.

Took a few liberties working your pics, Bob. I'm a novice with PhotoShop. But I tried to take a few years off of them. I'm sure there are others who could do much more.

Attachments

• WAFB PICS 2a.jpg
    WAFB PICS 2a.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 81
  • WAFB PICS 1.jpg
    WAFB PICS 1.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 79
You're the best!

Yes, thank you Vets!! One of my greatest regrets was not serving. So I do appreciate those who do and did.

Took a few liberties working your pics, Bob. I'm a novice with PhotoShop. But I tried to take a few years off of them. I'm sure there are others who could do much more.

Hey Bryan.....I really appreciate you making the pics look better.....I would not know how to do so....thanks a million!!! I wish there was a way to get the same improvement on the "real me" :)

Once again.....folks like you show what the folks on this forum make it so great...I salute you sir!

Right back at you Smokey! Loved almost every minute of 31 years and still miss it…

Attachments

• 49B0BD2D-797F-4569-86FC-E5C5DE5B3A70.jpeg
    49B0BD2D-797F-4569-86FC-E5C5DE5B3A70.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 73
It means more

Hi Smoky….yes indeed….veterans’ day means more as the years go by.

The three years I spent in the Army helped me become a pilot….woohoo and the rest is history.

To all the veterans…SALUTE!

Regards,

Happy Veteran's Day to all our Vets and Service Men and Women. My Granddaughter is currently serving in the Air Force as a 1st Lieutenant and deployed in Saudi Arabia. Thank You Alyssa.

Back