What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight

beav

Well Known Member
After 5 years and 2 weeks of building, I took my RV-7 up for its maiden voyage yesterday. I completed transition training with Mike Seager on Friday, so I was well prepared for the flight.

The flight lasted about 30 minutes and was completely uneventful. We orbited overhead at high power for 10-15 minutes and then slowed down for some slow flight and stalls. My buddy Greg flew chase in his Bonanza, and we were able to confirm the airspeed and altimeter readings are virtually spot on.

Here's a video of the first flight:

First Flight (480p)

First Flight (1080p)

Glad to be the first to say. BIG TIME CONGRATS Jason. I knew you were close and thought it might be any day.

Stay safe in Phase 1 and keep us posted.....

Last edited:
I use your build site often, now to see your first flight gives me hope. Thanks. And congratulations!!

congrats

Great job Jason!!! Enjoy and fly safe!!
BTW..I am glad you finished training with Mike S..... He is all ours for next few days!!!

Congratulations Jason,
Knew you were close , it is indeed a special moment you will cherish for a long time.
Smilin' Jack

Excellent four days

Great job Jason, lots fun training with you in Oregon and watching your first flight from the best seat in the house. Both airplane and pilot couldn't have been better prepared, and it really showed. My turn in a few weeks!

-Greg

Congratulations!

"Hands off and no heavy" ... ok, now that was just mean! :mad:

some of us are not so lucky:roll eyes:

Excellent flight and thank you for the video!

Regards,

Scott

Bravo Zulu!

Well done, sir!

I've followed your build since you let us use your hangar last year on a visit.

The build looks great, you were well prepared, and first flight was well executed.

Good on you!

Congrats.

Building to flying stories really motivate me. Yours is no exception.

Also, thanks Jason for the nice builder's log. I have you bookmarked and appreciate the time you took on it. I refer to it regularly.

Congratulations Jason

Outstanding Jason - congratulations! I've been referring to your site for quite some time, as I work on the various subassemblies of my RV-7. It's great to see you flying!

-Sean

Congrats Jason, Great flight and great video ! Perfect time of year to get in the air. Get through your 40 hours and enjoy that airplane all summer long !

Thx

Great News Jason......could the Bonanza keep up with you?

Glenn Wilkinson

Other than climbout, no problem at all keeping up (it was my turbonormalized IO550 powered A-36). Jason was climbing much better than 2000fpm, and the bonanza can't sustain that- specially with nearly full fuel and three on board. Otherwise the bonanza is faster (of course with much higher fuel consumption), and does a pretty good job on the slow end as well.

-Greg

Back