What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carbon Fiber parts

RV Bits

RV Bits has a few as well.
https://www.rvbits.com/

I cheated. I used their fiberglass plenum and applied one layer of carbon fiber. The plenum was a fair amount of work to fit but their intersection fairings fit very well. I do wish companies wouldn't use gel coat. Vans as well. I would much rather finish myself. Leave them bare fiberglass and save some money. Gel coat has a bad habit of chipping or cracking and messing up a paint job.

By special arrangement, HP Aircraft LLC (advertises here) will make you a set of the racing wingtips in carbon. Usually use fiberglass and they weigh about 3 lbs. Carbon ones would be lighter.

Carbon fiber

Where or who is a good supply of carbon cloth or some 4” carbon tape?
Want to make up a part in carbon fiber and fiberglass.
Thanks

Allan Stern
Paid 2022
RV 14A

Spruce

Where or who is a good supply of carbon cloth or some 4” carbon tape?
Want to make up a part in carbon fiber and fiberglass.
Thanks

Allan Stern
Paid 2022
RV 14A

I just bought a linear yard of CF 60" from Spruce.
Never used tape.
Their shipping is pricey but I needed other stuff anyway.
I just cut what I need. If you're careful, there is no more fray waste than fiberglass. I save the fray and use it for CF flox. Run the rotary cutter back and forth over it till it turns to flox. I use it to fill small spots so it matches.
I do use fiberglass roll occasionally. I guess that's tape.

Carbon/glass lamination ?

Several reference above about combining glass and carbon. Long ago The Horton School of composites made the point the thermal expansion rates are significantly different.
So, is it OK to combine these materials in a layup ?

FWIW,

Weight of Van’s gray fiberglass parts in oz.
Emp and Wing Tips

1) 2.4oz VS-809
2) 2.7oz each total 5.4oz HS-615
3) 10.2oz R-411 W/L
4) 4.9oz R-809
5) 4.7oz each total 9.4oz E-612
6) 71.9oz L Wing tip
7) 75.2oz R Wing tip

Total 179.4oz or 10.212lbs

Anyone has a cowl please add the data point for weight. What color , pink, green etc.
Anyone with canopy skirts add data point for weight too.

Tail and wings really isn’t much weight, Carbon saves 15%. A possible 1.5 lbs to be saved on tail/wing. I agree it all adds up, but some may be more effective than others.

Con
Fiberglass is required on wing tips if you use an archer antenna. At 15% weight savings you’re trading 22oz for the loss of ability to use an archer antenna.

Possible Pro/Con
Effects of reduced weight of tail parts and more/less counter weight required? Perhaps someone could answer if you’d need more or less counter weight.

Cowl might be the most beneficial part to make weight savings. I’d assume it’s a substantial weight so a few lbs might be saved on the nose where CG effect may be an advantage depending on your configuration.

Back